rinv

politicks

they're sucking the blood out of us all!

today is voting day in pennsylvania.

if you are "politically active" (in so much as that you vote about people who's policies you can recall) where you do you do your learning? i find myself with 10s of tabs from wikipedia, every reputable-seeming news site, youtube videos of speeches, campaign sites with YEA and NAYs, etc. i listen to one political-centric podcast (pod save america) but find myself yearning for more variety. i can't help but feel i am missing out on at least a couple reliable sources that could be beneficial.

share yours!

I can't vote because I am a convicted felon. 

That was a joke. :wineghost:

Although I really can't vote (not a citizen).

Skip and I share subscriptions to the LA Times, New York Times, and Washington Post. My only news-consuming ritual (that is not work-related), though, is to read the Morning Briefing in the NYT app. It makes me feel informed without overwhelming me (also, it's a nice app!).

If you have any interest in foreign policy/America's role in the Middle East and all the shit that's going on there, particularly as it pertains to Iraq/Syria/Jordan, I strongly recommend the book "Black Flags" by Joby Warrick, which tells the definitive history of the rise of ISIS. (It won a Pulitzer for non-fiction and it is a compelling read -- I whooshed through it in a weekend!) While the book isn't a source of news, having read it I feel that I have a better understanding of the ramifications of America's defense/diplomacy decisions, so when a candidate runs for office and expresses a certain foreign policy position, I kinda know what's up. 

26 minutes ago, Tracey said:

I strongly recommend the book "Black Flags" by Joby Warrick

that sounds absolutely like something i need to read! ty!

this will come as a surprise to no one, but i purposely don't know anything. i feel like at this point any american over the age of 25 has pretty much seen every possible combination of how violent and stupid and terrifyingly sad the world can be . . . and i've had enough! it's good to be informed, and i think people should be! but it has a real negative effect on me, and i feel relieved when i don't have to be saddled with knowing anything. i really don't know what good it would do anyone for me to silently acknowledge the horrors we create. i know what 'side' i'm on, and i know what i'd do when / if The Time Comes. until then: i'll be in the dark, right where i belong! :punkdude:

i read the news as homework, to have some sort of pulse on what's up in the world and as a kindness to my fellow people (i am alienated enough). if i think about it too much or get too involved it is completely soul crushing, so i look at it with some distance, and not daily. i think news are absolute garbage content-wise; books and documentaries is where i do most of my learning and forming of political opinions. i don't tend to share those or discuss politics at all if i can avoid it; it just hasn't been a fruitful experience for me, ever.

specially current events! it's a bit related to what ryan just said in the movies thread about new films/books vs classics; there's something so vapid about topics or media that is hot and trending right now; they are hot and trending because the system that produces them needs something to be hot and trending every minute of every day, not because they are particularly worthy of discussion or consideration; in fact completely independently of if they are. only with time can you have an even vaguely accurate or nuanced perception of the reasons and implications of a certain event. similarly, with time great art gets a sort of recognition that, in it's time, was completely indistinguishable from all the noise. 

i have to say, though, there's a level of dynamism in European politics; of different parties popping up, complicated coalition governments, power games between different European states... that keeps it sort of interesting. varied, at least. the US is just sad. if i lived in the US i would probably remove myself completely from it as well, just hearing about what goes on there is exhausting and exasperating on a human level.  

5 hours ago, tombo said:

only with time can you have an even vaguely accurate or nuanced perception of the reasons and implications of a certain event. similarly, with time great art gets a sort of recognition that, in it's time, was completely indistinguishable from all the noise. 

I completely agree. I don't think we know the full story of an event until at least 10 years after the fact. I think news is incredibly important, but I also think the people making the decisions about what stories are pursued and are given prominent placement don't always know what they're doing, and they often don't have the time to stop and reflect on the ramifications of their actions. I've been sent out on a handful of occasions to cover events where people have died, and my marching orders have been to find friends and relatives of the people (who just died) to get them to talk about their loved one, and in the hours before the story goes to print it is the most important thing in the world to my editors, and I am sent to hospitals and police stations and we find these people's numbers in the White Pages and cold call again and again until someone answers, and it's really weird and uncomfortable and sad for everyone, and the next day once the story has gone to print and a new disaster has happened, they've moved on and forgotten about yesterday's story. It's like they have horse blinders on. We're not historians. We shout things that we believe to be factual at equal volume: "The sky is blue!" "The Catholic Church systemically covered up child abuse!" "These electric scooters in San Francisco are a trip hazard!"

Another book recommendation: "The Unwinding" by George Packer. It was written in 2013, but explains how 2016 happened. 

a few weeks ago, in a cloud of (whispering) spooky smoke from the ghost lettuce we were puffing on, (resuming normal-volume voice) mccune and i were watching this C-SPAN thing from 1998 about JOURNALISM. there were a bunch of editors in chief from various massive news publications talking about, essentially, the death of journalism. it has already happened, more or less, and it happened a long time ago. we're just now getting the memo is all. what we have now is a THRICE-PHOTOCOPIED plastic knockoff facsimile shadow-outline paper corpse of what the thing used to be . . . just like culture!

speaking of culture: i recall a marlon brando interview from the late 80s where he talks about this. i think this is maybe relevant:

CHUNG: You said that in the last nine years you’ve been searching for what you really want to do.

BRANDO: Yeah.

CHUNG: Have you decided?

BRANDO: Have you?

CHUNG: Did you ever want to start a national theater or something like that?

BRANDO: There is no—we have no basis for culture in this country. There is no culture in this country.

CHUNG: Why do you say that?

BRANDO: Well there’s almost no culture any place in the world. Who are the present great artists, painters, thinkers, philosophers? Where are they? Do you realize that in Greece for a 150 years we had Sophocles, Plato—why go down the list.

CHUNG: Couldn’t you bring it to the American stage?

BRANDO: That’s an enormous presumption. I mean people throw the word “artist” around like a . . . a football. There are no artists. There are only people like you and me who make money.

there is no period in civilization where anything was cohesive and absolutely beautiful. it has always been a mess. but there were little glimmers of that dream! they still exist today, but you gotta look hard i think. i mean you could use math or whatever to prove that there is total deluge of information that did not exist in this magnitude even two decades ago. we are overwhelmed with noise, most of it useless and confusing, maybe on purpose.

it's hilarious that metal gear solid 2 of all things predicted this a long-ass time ago. this is worth watching! here:

DOUBT EVERYTHING!!!!!!!! we live in a toxic world controlled by psychopaths. everything is selling you a warped idea of the world . . . even soda bottles and seemingly harmless TV shows! it's gettin in yer blood dude. objective truth is a mirage!!!!!!!!!

well . . . bye!!!

44 minutes ago, starsailor said:

a few weeks ago, in a cloud of (whispering) spooky smoke from the ghost lettuce we were puffing on, (resuming normal-volume voice) mccune and i were watching this C-SPAN thing from 1998 about JOURNALISM. there were a bunch of editors in chief from various massive news publications talking about, essentially, the death of journalism. it has already happened, more or less, and it happened a long time ago. we're just now getting the memo is all. what we have now is a THRICE-PHOTOCOPIED plastic knockoff facsimile shadow-outline paper corpse of what the thing used to be . . . just like culture!

speaking of culture: i recall a marlon brando interview from the late 80s where he talks about this. i think this is maybe relevant:

there is no period in civilization where anything was cohesive and absolutely beautiful. it has always been a mess. but there were little glimmers of that dream! they still exist today, but you gotta look hard i think. i mean you could use math or whatever to prove that there is total deluge of information that did not exist in this magnitude even two decades ago. we are overwhelmed with noise, most of it useless and confusing, maybe on purpose.

it's hilarious that metal gear solid 2 of all things predicted this a long-ass time ago. this is worth watching! here:

DOUBT EVERYTHING!!!!!!!! we live in a toxic world controlled by psychopaths. everything is selling you a warped idea of the world . . . even soda bottles and seemingly harmless TV shows! it's gettin in yer blood dude. objective truth is a mirage!!!!!!!!!

well . . . bye!!!

Holy shit dude, the only thing I remember from Metal Gear Solid is hiding under a cardboard box. 

3 minutes ago, Tracey said:

Holy shit dude, the only thing I remember from Metal Gear Solid is hiding under a cardboard box. 

NO ONE IS INVALIDATED

AND NO ONE IS RIGHT

Posted (edited)

i dont think the fundamental confusion has ever been any different. our existential truth is the same. nobody has ever been right. our dreams of the past are just that.  also, i completely disagree with brando there; culture has never been about great artists, it has always been about trash. i think we're at a turning point that is hard to process, but to think we're fundamentally better, worse or different than our fathers is laughable hubris, and buying into the same *innovative* mumbo jumbo you're trying to criticize. i think if there is to be a substantive change in our perception of the world it will come through overcoming what we are being made aware of and processing it, not just pointing it out and pining for a time that never existed (and no, it wasnt close either).

Edited by tombo

22 minutes ago, tombo said:

i dont think the fundamental confusion has ever been any different. our existential truth is the same. nobody has ever been right. our dreams of the past are just that.  also, i completely disagree with brando there; culture has never been about great artists, it has always been about trash. i think we're at a turning point that is hard to process, but to think we're fundamentally better, worse or different than our fathers is laughable hubris, and buying into the same *innovative* mumbo jumbo you're trying to criticize. i think if there is to be a substantive change in our perception of the world it will come through overcoming what we are being made aware of and processing it, not just pointing it out and pining for a time that never existed (and no, it wasnt close either).

yes i agree with you how wrong i am

". . . not just pointing it out and pining for a time that never existed (and no, it wasnt close either)."

my brother, i pine for a time in which we never existed

2 hours ago, starsailor said:

yes i agree with you how wrong i am

". . . not just pointing it out and pining for a time that never existed (and no, it wasnt close either)."

my brother, i pine for a time in which we never existed

ok wait maybe i was a little bit right, right?? you can't argue that a 24-hour news cycle and the internet haven't greatly increased the amount of FILTH we consume by orders of magnitude

there's no way for me to prove it, but i'll bet someone living in 1885 had the luxury of a quieter mind than we are afforded

we are exposed to a lot more information, that's for sure, but most of the implications of that (whether it makes us dependent or independent, smarter or dumber, more or less cultured, dead or alive, more or less controlled by psychopaths) aren't clearly defined, mostly because it's a very, very recent development. how this information is presented, transmitted and received; what we make of it, is also defined by old patterns and ideas, which are clashing with the realities these technologies make evident. we are adapting in a slow and improvised way, reacting more than acting. my intuition is that a lot of the structures and ideas we are used to don't work to define our world anymore. we need new structures, and new ideas, which will inevitably come with time. this is how one particular kind of world dies, for sure, but the only reason that world seems to be comfortable, understandable and nice enough is precisely because it's dead.

thousands more people are reading Plato right now than heard him speak in his time; the times of great artists were not the times of great artists for the vast majority of people living at the time. in a way, the time of great artists has just started; because we have the internet, the criterion collection, the gutenberg project, wikipedia. of course it's not on the news, it's not a multinational corporation and it's not trending on twitter, but i think we're in the brith of a new literacy. it's a stupid time and we have been revealed as the stupid babies we are. i for one am looking forward to growing up. 

4 hours ago, tombo said:

we are exposed to a lot more information, that's for sure, but most of the implications of that (whether it makes us dependent or independent, smarter or dumber, more or less cultured, dead or alive, more or less controlled by psychopaths) aren't clearly defined, mostly because it's a very, very recent development. how this information is presented, transmitted and received; what we make of it, is also defined by old patterns and ideas, which are clashing with the realities these technologies make evident. we are adapting in a slow and improvised way, reacting more than acting. my intuition is that a lot of the structures and ideas we are used to don't work to define our world anymore. we need new structures, and new ideas, which will inevitably come with time. this is how one particular kind of world dies, for sure, but the only reason that world seems to be comfortable, understandable and nice enough is precisely because it's dead.

thousands more people are reading Plato right now than heard him speak in his time; the times of great artists were not the times of great artists for the vast majority of people living at the time. in a way, the time of great artists has just started; because we have the internet, the criterion collection, the gutenberg project, wikipedia. of course it's not on the news, it's not a multinational corporation and it's not trending on twitter, but i think we're in the brith of a new literacy. it's a stupid time and we have been revealed as the stupid babies we are. i for one am looking forward to growing up. 

i might have to take my leave from this thread, because i really, truly, honestly wish the world would end, and thus i probably have nothing to offer (as if that wasn't already obvious!). i think the total destruction of planet earth is the only way any of us are ever going to find peace lol

8 minutes ago, starsailor said:

the total destruction of planet earth is the only way any of us are ever going to find peace

i don't disagree on that!

12 minutes ago, tombo said:

what if we all just went to sleep and let the animals take over again

that would be nice

15 minutes ago, tombo said:

OR: since we seem to love prefab buildings and strip malls and all that bullshit, why not move those who don't want to die to mars, where there is no nature to get in the way of building a consumerist utopia???? biodomes filled with places to shop???? and abandon earth for good so that it has a chance lol

i just really hope we don't make it to another planet while the human race is still alive lol

we've destroyed this one enough and it's going to keep gettin' destroyed.

bunch o' destroyers aye

another planet will only be available for the rich anyway :hmph:

4 minutes ago, soaplitz said:

another planet will only be available for the rich anyway :hmph:

good!

1 minute ago, starsailor said:

3F30DB99-2AEB-4EB5-B1BC-E8361C6B3F76.jpeg.d2e31a0410b81ba0fd351fee976ea882.jpeg

wrong thread(?) poopy pants

Just now, soaplitz said:

wrong thread(?) poopy pants

definitely relevant!