splendorr

the entertainment will be televised

hey listen. we all watch tv-type shows sometimes. it's not good that we do this... but sometimes it is! i just realized we had a movies thread but not a thread for that lowest of brows, that massest of entertainments: the broadcast television!

this includes any short-form, recurring televisual entity, regardless of its distribution method.

here are two things i watched this week:

the gay and wondrous life of caleb gallo

this is easily and astonishingly one of the funniest and most-affecting pieces of serialized entertainment i've seen in a long time. it walks through the valley of the shadow of absurd, and it fears no evil whatsoever. i received this 5-part miniseries as a sacrament. it's really funny!

trailer park boys

listen. there's no party i won't be late to. i don't know what happened, but after many years of assuming this would be an unpleasant or cringe-inducing punch down towards people in dire circumstances, somehow i decided to watch the first episode this weekend. and then i watched the whole first season. and against my will, i loved it.

there's a moment where the character ricky starts listing the reasons why they shouldn't do something. he says, "first of all," and then gives a reason. and then he says, not 15 seconds later, "and second, or third, or whichever one we're on," and i experienced the true and pure pleasure of a perfectly-delivered, understated joke. the series so far has many such small, snowglobe joke moments. i don't know if i should actually feel bad yet about enjoying it, but listen: i personally have no interest in the office, or parks and recreation. but i do like mockumentary movies like best in show and a mighty wind. i don't know if it's finesse, or tone, or what. this show feels more like the latter, and then goes its own way.

i'm happy i could provide this deeply necessary take on a 12-year-old television program!!!!!

what have you been watching?

I will probably elicit some eye rolls, but I really enjoyed the first season of "The Crown," and it has nothing to do with my citizenship to a Commonwealth country.

You don't need to like or even care about the British monarchy to have fun with and be moved by it. I found it to be well-written and acted, and it treated me like I might actually be smart (this matters to me a lot! I like things that make me stretch a little so that I may be smarter after experiencing it. I think so much of what we know about people we get from entertainment, and if the entertainment we watch makes everyone act like a cartoon character, then we internalize that and before you know it you really are telling someone "Babe, we need to talk" before breaking up with them). Skip didn't want to watch it at first because he thinks the monarchy is bs, which it is, but I told him to get over himself and just watch the darn thing because it's such a subtle thing that puts one hand on your chest and applies a bit of pressure, like a little push. He ended up liking it a whole bunch, too!

1 hour ago, Tracey said:

I will probably elicit some eye rolls, but I really enjoyed the first season of "The Crown," and it has nothing to do with my citizenship to a Commonwealth country.

You don't need to like or even care about the British monarchy to have fun with and be moved by it. I found it to be well-written and acted, and it treated me like I might actually be smart (this matters to me a lot! I like things that make me stretch a little so that I may be smarter after experiencing it. I think so much of what we know about people we get from entertainment, and if the entertainment we watch makes everyone act like a cartoon character, then we internalize that and before you know it you really are telling someone "Babe, we need to talk" before breaking up with them). Skip didn't want to watch it at first because he thinks the monarchy is bs, which it is, but I told him to get over himself and just watch the darn thing because it's such a subtle thing that puts one hand on your chest and applies a bit of pressure, like a little push. He ended up liking it a whole bunch, too!

i agree with all of these sentiments, and will give this one a try soon!

1 hour ago, Tracey said:

it's such a subtle thing that puts one hand on your chest and applies a bit of pressure, like a little push.

this is a beautiful sentence

On 4/23/2018 at 11:24 AM, splendorr said:

trailer park boys

listen. there's no party i won't be late to. i don't know what happened, but after many years of assuming this would be an unpleasant or cringe-inducing punch down towards people in dire circumstances, somehow i decided to watch the first episode this weekend. and then i watched the whole first season. and against my will, i loved it.

there's a moment where the character ricky starts listing the reasons why they shouldn't do something. he says, "first of all," and then gives a reason. and then he says, not 15 seconds later, "and second, or third, or whichever one we're on," and i experienced the true and pure pleasure of a perfectly-delivered, understated joke. the series so far has many such small, snowglobe joke moments. i don't know if i should actually feel bad yet about enjoying it, but listen: i personally have no interest in the office, or parks and recreation. but i do like mockumentary movies like best in show and a mighty wind. i don't know if it's finesse, or tone, or what. this show feels more like the latter, and then goes its own way.

i'm happy i could provide this deeply necessary take on a 12-year-old television program!!!!!

TPB owns and you're being unnecessarily defensive about liking it lol

i certainly don't think there's anything mean spirited about it, and in fact the fact that all these actors can so comfortably inhabit these characters in a show that's (for the good seasons) almost entirely improvised kind of shows that they know and/or were these people at one point and aren't just poking fun of them. it seems like most of the people on that show were never in anything else

there's a moment i always think of where ricky is trying to talk to cory and trevor. ricky's daughter trinity keeps hitting cory's arm and distracting him. eventually cory gets mad and starts trying to wrestle trinity. ricky doesn't stand up or move and he says, with irritation and incredulity, "are you gonna fight my daughter who's nine years old??" MAN what a delicious phrasing! who else would say it that exact way except ricky? every episode has a barrel full of these slightly odd sentences and i am quite happy to leap head first into that barrel

but yeah it goes on for four hundred seasons and nothing can stay golden that long

1 hour ago, swampfriend said:

TPB owns and you're being unnecessarily defensive about liking it lol

that's all true! i just didn't have a lot of personal reference for it, so, i don't know what "the culture" thinks about things!!!

what's the last good season, in your opinion please

14 minutes ago, splendorr said:

that's all true! i just didn't have a lot of personal reference for it, so, i don't know what "the culture" thinks about things!!!

what's the last good season, in your opinion please

ah i don't know if i'm that much of a scholar of it. i just feel like, in the way of other initially improv-dependent shows RENO 911! and CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM, the situations get a little forced and overwritten, the new characters are bad, the old characters are stale

i vaguely remember that the Ancient Stoner Wisdom dictates that it goes downhill when it starts being filmed in HD. i don't think i ever watched any episode after it returned from hiatus as a netflix original

32 minutes ago, splendorr said:

i don't know what "the culture" thinks about things!!!

ah whatever. honestly everyone else on here probably thinks we're nose-pickin rubes for laughing at this show. but to them i say,

image.png.456e79c797e20f744807e000c3273405.png

ah f,uck thats the wrong image. how do i edit thsi

This discussion inspired me to look up "Trailer Park Boys". I watched this clip (see below). The one where he slips into the water and struggles to get out  made me laugh really hard. It reminds me a little bit of "Eastbound and Down," of which I've only seen a handful of episodes. 

14 hours ago, swampfriend said:

ah whatever. honestly everyone else on here probably thinks we're nose-pickin rubes for laughing at this show. but to them i say,

image.png.456e79c797e20f744807e000c3273405.png

ah f,uck thats the wrong image. how do i edit thsi

lolllll

well the joke is absolutely on everyone else. we are hybrid species with the best of both world. half-genius, half-rube,. ALL natural baybee!!  :mario:

OH YEAH the other show i've been watching is LEGION and i'm about 2/3rds through the first season (segion)!

i can't tell yet if it rules completely or just largely rules & dazzles me with a bunch of weird stuff, but man i love weird stuff and interesting composition and all that, and it's been pretty neat!

i’ve liked all of what i’ve seen of Trailer Park Boys.

i just watched all of the seldom-talked-about david lynch and mark frost post-Twin Peaks comedy sitcom “On The Air”

it appears to only live in the form of VHS rips on youtube, but it is tremendously chaotic and hilarious. the star of the show, Marla Rubinoff, is one of lynch’s trademark charming, eccentric blondes – she hasn’t been in anything notable else as far as i can tell, but her performance in this is perfect. also miguel ferrer is in it and is great as always!!

i don't watch many television programs, and when i do they're usually with my sweet and dear mother-- who loves her shows~ (um, yeah so i too watch Billions and Homeland and Law and Order: SVU) 

you see, i have a lot of issues with whats on the Tee-Vee. many i believe to be cancerous to young minds and society alike, uh oh :-( it's like, in the same vein of people/corporations/big pharma telling you what to do... it's the media that does the same dang thing. i know this isn't news to anyone, but i feel like this limpdick argument is more valid when discussing TV shows-- because those go on and on and on and on. 

anyway- television is enjoyable pastime for everyone. i've got my shows that i like to watch depending on the time of day or setting or whatever the circumstances are. . .

a few nights ago i discovered that all of COWBOY BEPOP is on hulu!! i watched five episodes and then i fell asleep at 3 a.m. ~

a few of my fav televised programs are (in no specific order) :

1) Oz

2) True Detective S1

3) Curb Your Enthusiasm

4) Louis Theroux's Weird Weekends

5) Twin Peaks

thats all i got babies~~

I recently watched one episode of "Atlanta," the episode titled "Teddy Perkins."

It was a neat little horror thing! I recommend it. It is only 30 minutes long and feels like a short film. I didn't know anything about the show before I watched that particular episode.

I can't watch Curb! It stresses me out. 

i don't mean to sound like a snob, but i have completely stopped watching anything that isn't on filmstruck. it's insane how much good stuff is on there. i think i could spend the rest of my life watching everything on there and never get to it all. plus all of it has been BAPTIZED BY TIME. it has survived and is important because we remember it and keep it somewhere. that's one of the reasons i don't read newer books: it has not yet survived time. i could, again, spend the rest of my life reading The Classics and never run out. i'm having a good time doing that. i'm going to keep on doing that, and hope that good times keep on rolling.

but filmstruck! yes: the other night i watched two movies about octopi . . . one was a 13 min. silent film called THE OCTOPUS. from filmstruck's website:

"From 1927 to 1928, Jean Painlevé made his first three films aimed at the general public. Shown in 'ciné-clubs' and avant-garde movie theaters of Paris, these films were written and edited to entertain as well as educate. THE OCTOPUS, one of these educational films, is presented here in its original silent version."

man, check it out. it sure is cool. the other was THE LOVE LIFE OF THE OCTOPUS by the same dude. again:

"The mating rituals and reproductive cycle of the octopus are the subject of this short documentary by Jean Painlevé."

it's this french dude saying stuff like: "the octopus is a solitary creature who lives alone at the bottom of the ocean. but it wants love just as any of us do."

alpha2.png.b1333584c1b2c8922a709a791ee90b86.png 1272957242_Alpha(1).png.df75113e980aab7be27bf387ba8f8012.png

AS I SAID BEFORE: i cut up my moviepass card. we are all day going to realize that everything we breathe and touch and put on our bodies is lego-bricking its way into our systems and slowly giving us multiple types of cancer. moviepass is the same thing. it seems harmless enough now to watch total horseshit, but one day you're going to wake up and realize it has eaten your brain, and has taken up space where good and beneficial things might otherwise live. not me, sister!!!!!

1 minute ago, starsailor said:

AS I SAID BEFORE: i cut up my moviepass card. we are all day going to realize that everything we breathe and touch and put on our bodies is lego-bricking its way into our systems and slowly giving us multiple types of cancer. moviepass is the same thing. it seems harmless enough now to watch total horseshit, but one day you're going to wake up and realize it has eaten your brain, and has taken up space where good and beneficial things might otherwise live. not me, sister!!!!!

this convinced me to not go see Rampage this week out of some false obligation to "get my money's worth" out of my moviepass sub

i think there are at least 12 movies a year that i legitimately want to see that make it worth keeping, but i guess i needed someone to tell me i don't have to eat garbage to stop lol

23 minutes ago, rinv said:

this convinced me to not go see Rampage this week out of some false obligation to "get my money's worth" out of my moviepass sub

i think there are at least 12 movies a year that i legitimately want to see that make it worth keeping, but i guess i needed someone to tell me i don't have to eat garbage to stop lol

yeeeaaahhhh see, i would estimate there are only five or six movies a year i want to see, in which case moviepass is a waste of money for me. when i saw those monthly $10 paypal transactions go through, i'd realize i hadn't been to a movie theater in like three months. so For Me, it makes more sense to just pony up $12 to see a movie i am actually interested in. that and the california theatre in downtown berkeley accepts student IDs for a pretty substantial discount, and despite the fact that i am 19 years old in the picture, they still let me in

YEAH

also: trash isn't necessarily bad. there is a beautiful stupid trash that i like watching. i mean c'mon. but i don't know . . . . . i think i can live without it now??? quoth LETHAL WEAPON: 'i'm gettin too old for this shiiit!!!'

this woman i work with told me she'd seen that infinity wars thing, and i was like "yeah i can't do it anymore :-/". and she said she hates all that stuff too, but she needed something mindless to GAZE UPON given that we are essentially living in the crumbling ruins of a failing empire. and i thought: i get it. we all need a reprieve from this godawful hell. but i guess i'd rather go on a walk?? which i do! every single night.

well, that's it from me

hmm i wish something like filmstruck was available in europe :/ 

i torrent stuff but netflix is so terribly easy i end up watching a lot of average to garbage stuff. 

any of you use VPNs? every time i have looked into it i've been overwhelmed by the amount of options and sketchy-looking sites. 

34 minutes ago, tombo said:

i torrent stuff but netflix is so terribly easy i end up watching a lot of average to garbage stuff. 

any of you use VPNs? every time i have looked into it i've been overwhelmed by the amount of options and sketchy-looking sites. 

I use the Opera browser, which has a built-in VPN that you can toggle on/off. I would offer a review but I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to VPNs. 

hm, i just tried it and it didn't work (it somehow knows i'm not in the US). still, seems like this browser has some cool features, i like it!

1 hour ago, tombo said:

i deleted netflix, amazon prime video, hbo now, et cetera . . . minus amazon were someone else's logins so it's not like i was paying for them anyway. netflix is total horseshit and amazon prime video is full of really bizarre stuff . . . like forgotten and unloved 80s movies that you could have probably gone the rest of your life not knowing they existed in the first place

tombo if you figure out the VPN thing, let me know and i'll gladly share my login info with you. also check your DSH inbox dude

can someone inform me about the hype of "planet earth"

Just now, soaplitz said:

ok i meant the episodic series lol but the question can remain the same about actual PLANET EARTH

Just now, soaplitz said:

just watch it dude. it's real chill. it's just you and your friend david attenborough hangin out and watching animals and shit. it is not anymore complicated than that. it's a screensaver that teaches you stuff

7 minutes ago, starsailor said:

just watch it dude. it's real chill. it's just you and your friend david attenborough hangin out and watching animals and shit. it is not anymore complicated than that. it's a screensaver that teaches you stuff

yeah thats what i thought~ 

i wanna chill!!!!!!