splendorr

T.U.I.F.

these dads don't sound half bad. i want to retire somewhat like that

happy friday ya'll!

i'm working on several big change management documents at work and my eyes are starting to glaze over. i think i'm going to get up and walk around a bit

Posted (edited)

it's friday and festival season is here! saw Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds yesterday and dang, it was truly great. they slowly won over this very mixed, initially skeptical crowd, and by the end he started bringing people on stage and everyone was like in a collective trance. real intense stuff. 

the ones i'm most excited to see next are Shellac and Ariel Pink, but there's a whole bunch of good bands playing here, it's nice!

Edited by tombo

My friend Lena is coming to visit me today. Lena and I went to college together and were both editors of the student paper. We were not very close, but were always fond of each other. After college I moved to the U.S. and she moved to Denmark. We kept in touch over email and a once-a-year Skype, but we haven't seen each other in person in more than six years. She is coming to stay with me in this here Oakland for about a week. I don't think I have ever had anyone get on a plane and come to where I am with the specific purpose of spending time with me (exception being Skip, but we're in a long-distance relationship, so that doesn't count), so I am both excited and nervous. Excited because: friend! Nervous because: hosting!

This will be Lena's first time in America, so I feel tremendous pressure to make sure she has a valuable experience. I was thinking of dropping her off at a McDonald's playground for the weekend.

tonight i am going to drive around the east bay in my 1981 DATSUN 280ZX and hate myself and feel lost and confused and wonder how i ended up like this lol

IMG_6884-1.thumb.jpg.cdd5dafb9e693a5e52efc368b1fbecff.jpg

im one year older today than i was yesterday.

that’s me and my buddy this morning.

and me and my room that i won’t be living in anymore in two weeks ~

70A292B4-AE76-444D-90E1-965D0BA59A9B.jpeg

A466CB20-47DC-4C5F-AC39-5F98F5BF4D92.jpeg

5 minutes ago, starsailor said:

i'm going to drink a gallon of rat poison and watch the stars

how can you watch the stars if yer ded :hmph:

15 minutes ago, soaplitz said:

how can you watch the stars if yer ded :hmph:

i want to return to them

Today is my first full day in a week to myself! Tomorrow will be another day spent by myself! I am so excited!!

today i packed my suitcase full of clothes and toiletries and books and art supplies because tomorrow i am going to california for a whopping goddamn five months. i'll be in oakland tomorrow! until wednesday night. i have an aisle seat on my flight and i hope to take a sweet nap and read my books~

can't wait to see some of y'all fools!

My friend Lena flew back to Denmark this afternoon. We had a really good week together! Her visit to the U.S. was divided into three parts -- SF and Oakland, then a road trip with another friend to Yosemite/Tahoe, then back to SF and Oakland. After I had time away from her to recharge, I was a much better host and did not feel depleted all the time. 

While she was visiting, I had expressed to her an insecurity I have had for many years about not being "fun" or interesting enough, and a worry that the only thing that I potentially bring to the table is being organized and reliable, kind of like Willow in "Buffy: The Vampire Slayer" before she developed magic powers. Our conversation prompted me to create an Excel spreadsheet in which I wrote in one column the names of all the friends I have whose company I really enjoy, and a row of qualities I like in those friends (e.g. basic intellect, loyalty, generosity, self-assured, understands they will die, etc.), and then I looked for the common denominator. After I had completed the exercise, I realized that the criteria against which I'd been measuring myself was not at all relevant to me, and I am probably doing better than I thought. It was a therapeutic exercise, and I certainly feel a little less down about myself!

Tonight I am getting pizza with a former colleague of mine. It will be Chicago-style, so I am poppin' Lact-Aids in preparation. :wineghost:

sup TUIFers

i worked 10 hours, went for a 40 minute run, and now am waiting to go on a date with a stranger. 

I gave notice at my job today! I have officially resigned!!!

In two weeks I will be done with this job. Six days after that I will move to Kansas. And a few weeks after that, I will be a student again! :ochoman:

I feel very relieved. 

happy friday! 

hope everyone's having a good'un

28 minutes ago, soaplitz said:

i’m in oakland

☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆

tell ryan i say hi

5 hours ago, rinv said:

tell ryan i say hi

tell him yourself :hmph:

11 hours ago, soaplitz said:

tell him yourself :hmph:

ok

I am in New York right now! My brother is here on vacation so I came to see him. I return to Kansas tomorrow (where I have already moved), and start orientation on Monday.

This is my last Friday as someone who doesn't have real work or study responsibilities. I am thankful to have had this brief window of not having to do much! 

hope your fridays are great.

i worked today, then came home and cleaned my apartment.

i’ve been seeing someone for about a month now who i’ve pretty well fallen for and it’s lifted my spirits lately. she’s tremendous.

i start my fall classes in about 2.5 weeks and i am not looking forward to it, but i’ll be graduated by spring if i make it through this. here’s hoping. this feels like the last respite before a long 8 months. 

today i went to Daiso and Little Tokyo here in LA. tonight i'm seeing my friend play music at a guitar store. so far it's been a pretty good friday!

yesterday i had a long day and was awake for 21 whole-ass hours. 

this time, next week i'm getting on a bus to go back to Oakland.

next week i'm also going to do something i never do, and always do myself: i'm going to get a manicure. why not ok??

uh i've been writing about 2,000-5,000 words a day and have been feeling pretty good.