splendorr

T.U.I.F.

I was going to warn @soaplitz to stop increasing her chances of going to donut jail when she was posting in here like some mad woman last week, but because it was not Friday and I am an ardent rule follower (to an enormous fault), I did not. *deep breath* OK, now that that's out of my system...

I am in L.A. right now! I am here because I am moderating a panel about tech/privacy/artificial intelligence at the Festival of Books on Sunday. I am very nervous about it -- more than 80 people have rsvp'd to attend my panel, and I have no idea who they are. Normally, on a Friday, I would be feeling enormous relief about the end of a week and the beginning of a leisurely weekend. Right now, I am feeling anxious about Sunday!

The silver lining is that the work week is over, so at least I don't have to do that kind of work for two days. I also took some nice gel pens from the office stationery cupboard, which is nice because I always feel like such a rube when I pay for pens. 

3 hours ago, Tracey said:

I was going to warn @soaplitz to stop increasing her chances of going to donut jail when she was posting in here like some mad woman last week, but because it was not Friday and I am an ardent rule follower (to an enormous fault), I did not. *deep breath* OK, now that that's out of my system...

I am in L.A. right now! I am here because I am moderating a panel about tech/privacy/artificial intelligence at the Festival of Books on Sunday. I am very nervous about it -- more than 80 people have rsvp'd to attend my panel, and I have no idea who they are. Normally, on a Friday, I would be feeling enormous relief about the end of a week and the beginning of a leisurely weekend. Right now, I am feeling anxious about Sunday!

The silver lining is that the work week is over, so at least I don't have to do that kind of work for two days. I also took some nice gel pens from the office stationery cupboard, which is nice because I always feel like such a rube when I pay for pens. 

first of all: thank U to stargent ryan @starsailor for his dedicated service to using the woop woop lights at any opportunity. we didn't spend tax money on those things to not use 'em!!!!

second of all: thank U @Tracey for being a concerned citizen but not allowing that concern to drive U off the rails!! we all saw what happened when i got overzealous last week.

third of all: @soaplitz we're gonna let bygoofs be bygoofs here, and congratulate U on ruining a perfectly good outfit if that's what u wanted to do! what was it like running in the mud?

fourth of all: i had a wild day and forgot that it was friday at all until now!! luckily it's still friday in this moon-basked world of ours for a while, yet.

fifth of all: my big news is that LAST friday, i worked up the nerve and put in notice at the job i've worked for the last 6 months! it hasn't meshed very well with my physical requirement for being rested and happy, so i'm going back to freelance web design and development! i have work lined up for may and some of june, and am talking to some other potential clients! i'm very excited but also terrified to go back to freelancing, which i did mostly successfully for almost two years before this office job. i'm only getting better at web site and programming in general, soooooooo hopefully i'll get paid for it often enough!

so next friday is gonna be a MAJOR FRIDAY OF STORIED PROPORTIONS because it will be the last day of my current job! WWOOWWWW

tonight i'm drinking tequila and learning about game programming because i've been prototyping some game ideas and had a dumb joke idea for a game that i might make!!! it's about what if you didn't have to choose just one pokemon at the beginning of the first pokemon game. i had a fun dinner with a friend where we talked about different things from growing up, and we had tacos and margaritas, and now i'm just chilling and winging it!

@Tracey ! congratulations on your big scary panel! that's so great that so many people want to attend!! i suspect that you're going to do great, but that kinda thing is always nerve-wracking until it starts!

35 minutes ago, splendorr said:

also @Tracey what color pens did u get from the office :flowerguy:

Black. It's one of those glidey gel pens that doesn't require you to use any pressure when you're writing because the ink just flows abundantly. Those pens are normally expensive (compared to other pens)! It felt good to get some for free.

Congratulations on putting in notice, @splendorr! This is a big move. I become very optimistic when people do what is right for them and take steps to improve their happiness. Maybe I will become optimistic to the max when I take my own plunge in a few months!

it’s still friday in california mothertruckers so y’all can’t get me now :copcar:

3 hours ago, splendorr said:

fifth of all: my big news is that LAST friday, i worked up the nerve and put in notice at the job i've worked for the last 6 months! it hasn't meshed very well with my physical requirement for being rested and happy, so i'm going back to freelance web design and development! i have work lined up for may and some of june, and am talking to some other potential clients! i'm very excited but also terrified to go back to freelancing, which i did mostly successfully for almost two years before this office job. i'm only getting better at web site and programming in general, soooooooo hopefully i'll get paid for it often enough!

congratulations splendor~~

@splendorr Splendorr Splendorr today is your last day at your current job, yes? :wineghost:

I am very excited for you. I am counting town to the last day at my job. I haven't given notice yet. I'm still months away. But BOY do I fantasize about it! I will probably really miss having a stable salary, and I will probably also miss the clout that comes with being a LAT reporter, but the former is something I can figure out and the latter is superficial and no one actually cares anyway (I recently realized that my friends who truly love me give zero fucks about my career/where I work, and it was such a relief!!).

Speaking of work, I got so frustrated with my editors/colleagues today that I almost cried! I had been told last night to report/write a story today, and after I started working on it my editors kept changing the story's angle, and for a brief moment this morning I had no idea what I was meant to be doing (which is unusual for me -- I am a very put-together person!). I just finished a first draft of the story and it has *five* reporter bylines on it, because that's how many cooks were in the kitchen. I am not sure how familiar y'all are with the frustration cry, but I was one Slack message away from real tears. 

Well, the draft is done. The worst is behind me. In a few hours, I will be done with work, Skip gets in tonight (he is visiting briefly as part of a work trip), we are getting ice-cream tomorrow, I am one week closer to resigning, and I get to mull over "Mulholland Drive" (lol), which I watched for the first time last night with @starsailor and Laura Rokas and I have so many questions!  Thank Unions It's Frideeeeee!

@splendorr you really weren't kidding about getting off that hell-schedule! lol
super excited for you!

@Tracey i think you being an LAT reporter is extremely cool. i can tell people "i've talked to a reporter (on the internet)"
but "cool" career status should always come after satisfaction, so i'm hoping for a good transition for you to whatever you do next!

Mulholland Dr is amazing. there's a lot of questions to be had, for sure. i would love to hear more of your thoughts (after they've had some dwelling time!)

i'm sick for the 3rd time this year somehow, so i've spent my friday at work mostly not working and instead just being miserable sitting in front of my computer, drinking copious amounts of water, and playing Dragon Quest III on my phone when i can get away with it.

@Tracey @rinv HECK YEAHHH THANKS Y'ALL

THANK fUck IT'S FRIDAYYYYYYYYY

I'm wrapping up my last day at the office! I was, in fact, NOT KIDDING AT ALL and I'm Excited While Nervous to start a month-long freelance job on MondayYYYYYYYYY WOW

tonight some of my friends are throwing me a karaoke party in my dang living room, so we're gonna sing and drink some alcohol and that'll rule!

and then, i'm gonna sleeeeeep soo oo muuuuuuuchhhhh, and maybe even go to a spa over the weekend to get massaged, scrubbed, and soaked! maxin' and relaxin' is the name of this weekend's game! T U I FFFFFFFF

@Tracey i'm very familiar with the frustration cry and i'm so sorry that's been frustrating!! mulholland drive is great and some things there aren't really answers to, but i like it anyway! let us know what you're thinking about it.

@rinv sorry that you're sick, buddy! you can share my goal of deep rest for this weekend, drink some dang echinacea tea and get some umcka cold medicine maybe, and get better!!!

HA PEE FRY DAY EV RY BOH DEEE

1 minute ago, splendorr said:

@Tracey @rinv HECK YEAHHH THANKS Y'ALL

THANK fUck IT'S FRIDAYYYYYYYYY

I'm wrapping up my last day at the office! I was, in fact, NOT KIDDING AT ALL and I'm Excited While Nervous to start a month-long freelance job on MondayYYYYYYYYY WOW

tonight some of my friends are throwing me a karaoke party in my dang living room, so we're gonna sing and drink some alcohol and that'll rule!

and then, i'm gonna sleeeeeep soo oo muuuuuuuchhhhh, and maybe even go to a spa over the weekend to get massaged, scrubbed, and soaked! maxin' and relaxin' is the name of this weekend's game! T U I FFFFFFFF

@Tracey i'm very familiar with the frustration cry and i'm so sorry that's been frustrating!! mulholland drive is great and some things there aren't really answers to, but i like it anyway! let us know what you're thinking about it.

@rinv sorry that you're sick, buddy! you can share my goal of deep rest for this weekend, drink some dang echinacea tea and get some umcka cold medicine maybe, and get better!!!

HA PEE FRY DAY EV RY BOH DEEE

Lootin' and pollutin' is what the bad guys in Captain Planet do.

Maxin' and relaxin' is what Splendorr does. 

@rinv "but "cool" career status should always come after satisfaction" -- Yep! I am immensely proud of myself for having made it to the LAT. I think most people want external validation that they've achieved something meaningful, and getting to work at a big ol' newspaper is a kind of shorthand achievement. I mean, even my parents know who I work for. When I used to work for Polygon and Kotaku, they could never remember the companies' names. My mom told people I worked "for the internet." She wasn't wrong. I'm going to grad school to study fiction writing. I start in the fall. :ochoman:

4 hours ago, Tracey said:

@splendorr! How has your first week been as a free agent?

all over the place! slowly dealing with some paperwork related to getting my "small business" shit together, and ramping up on a couple of projects. but i slept a lot, and started having dreams again (i think maybe i hadn't had a full REM cycle in a few months) so that's good! i spent a lot more time alone and in a kind of restful contemplation. like most weeks, there's 20–40% of it that i simply endured and may never be able to speak about in any coherent way.

soooo kind of a mess but also a relief and hopefully it's gonna work out? today i feel kind of doomed before the magnitude of life's unferning complexity but i reckon i'll keep going anyway.

was work better for you this week, @Tracey? what's on the books for the weekend?

hey everybody: what's good this weekend?

11 minutes ago, splendorr said:

was work better for you this week, @Tracey? what's on the books for the weekend?

hey everybody: what's good this weekend?

I had nothing to actively frustrate me this week, so my mind went looking for trouble and I spent a good amount of time feeling bitter about how many of my stories over the past year have been edited/re-written to be worse than their original versions. My mind can't help but re-litigate it! I keep getting really mad! This is not helpful, of course. I leave in 11 weeks, and I just need to let some things go.

Oh, I did do at least one thing this week that made me feel OK. I bought shoe cream and a shoe brush and I buffed up/waterproofed my shoes!

54716279132__75ED40A2-D676-4FAB-AFA6-6D599A345AFC.thumb.JPG.58c8e52dd08c570dea84da37fca335ff.JPG

These boots were all scuffed up and looking kinda sad (I've had them for two years and never given them a shine). And now they're all shiny-like! Man, I am pretty good at shining shoes. If anyone has leather shoes they would like buffed, bring 'em over. I also have burgundy-colored shoe cream. 

This weekend I am going to work on a short story so that I can be extra ready when school starts. I will also do a test-run of a chickpea curry so that I can make it for friends at some point. 

@Tracey -- thanks for reminding me to clean my own shoes, which are white and i wear them everyday yet i have never cleaned those scruffy things. i really need to buy a same pair of the exact same shoes in black. they're just adidas superstars without the stripes.

well, today was my last day of work. tomorrow theres a party celebrating that there is no more work to be done for the thing that i have been working for. i'm leaving this place called atlanta on the 11th of may. one of my very dear friends, ben, will be home in new york and back from college. i haven't seen ben in over four months!! but i talk to him every day in a group chat that is between me, him, and my other good friend satya.  i actually have not texted either of them individually in months. all is said in the chat, baby~~~ we'll have a real nice reunion in NYC and start trying to plan our li'l trip to montreal and a road trip to shreveport, louisiana (don't ask, because i don't have a good answer) 

my good friend beata is coming to atlanta to help me move out of my apartment and to go to this party with me.

that's it y'all~ nice to see you other babies doing ok

2 hours ago, soaplitz said:

@Tracey -- thanks for reminding me to clean my own shoes, which are white and i wear them everyday yet i have never cleaned those scruffy things. i really need to buy a same pair of the exact same shoes in black. they're just adidas superstars without the stripes.

well, today was my last day of work. tomorrow theres a party celebrating that there is no more work to be done for the thing that i have been working for. i'm leaving this place called atlanta on the 11th of may. one of my very dear friends, ben, will be home in new york and back from college. i haven't seen ben in over four months!! but i talk to him every day in a group chat that is between me, him, and my other good friend satya.  i actually have not texted either of them individually in months. all is said in the chat, baby~~~ we'll have a real nice reunion in NYC and start trying to plan our li'l trip to montreal and a road trip to shreveport, louisiana (don't ask, because i don't have a good answer) 

my good friend beata is coming to atlanta to help me move out of my apartment and to go to this party with me.

that's it y'all~ nice to see you other babies doing ok

I learned from fitness guru Kayla Itsines that an effective way of cleaning white sneakers is to throw them in the wash with an old light-colored towel. I am not sure of the science behind it (perhaps the friction from the towel helps agitate the crud out of the shoes?), but I will trust her on that one because she sure does have a ton of sparkling white shoes!

Do you plan on pursuing any more of the current work you're doing once you move to L.A. (in addition to community college), @soaplitz? Or are you searching for something different? I ask because, of the few people I have told about my plans to go back to a school, nearly all have asked me whether I plan to keep working for the Times, or perhaps try to get a local reporting gig, and I oscillate between feeling indignant ("grad school is itself a full-time occupation thankyouverymuch!!") and deeply misunderstood ("you have no idea how much my current profession depresses me"), and I end up giving a limp response ("nah, I need a change"). I mean, sure, I do need a change. But people don't typically need changes if they're happy. :hmph:

it's friday!!! like some of you, i have given notice to my work that i'm leaving in a few weeks and i got myself a plane ticket to Yangon/Rangun, Myanmar/Burma. i figure i'm gonna go check out what's good over there, can't think of anything better to do with ny time, and the place seems a good balance of cheap, weird and not appealing to tourists (what with the whole mass murdering military regime and whatnot). wish me luck!

2 hours ago, tombo said:

it's friday!!! like some of you, i have given notice to my work that i'm leaving in a few weeks and i got myself a plane ticket to Yangon/Rangun, Myanmar/Burma. i figure i'm gonna go check out what's good over there, can't think of anything better to do with ny time, and the place seems a good balance of cheap, weird and not appealing to tourists (what with the whole mass murdering military regime and whatnot). wish me luck!

This is exciting! Are you changing jobs/careers, Tombo?

Is it difficult to get a visa for Burma? And or travelers permitted to go wherever they want/just hang out? When I went to China a few years ago I had to supply a itinerary and every location in which I was staying (down to the hotel address) and the details of every tour I was joining (I was traveling with my parents and they're into bus tours), and it felt kind of oppressive! Like, I personally prefer to just go to a place and walk around and see what happens, but Chinese immigration is not into that.

I am on-call for work this weekend, so this is not the best of Fridays. Hopefully there is no breaking business news, because I sure as heck would like to not work! 

hey li’l dudes.

well it’s may 18th. i’ve been back home in NYC for nearly a week. i’ve been pretty absent for a few big and small reasons. i had to pack up my life in atlanta and come home, and the day after i got home my dad passed away, on may 14th. i like to keep it light and happy here in our house, but my dad’s death has derailed my life for a bit and i’m just taking some time to be at home with my family. 

i’ve been donating old clothes/throwing out junk/things i don’t need to prepare for my five-month (or so) move to los angeles. it’s friday, and i haven’t left the house (except to walk my sweet Mr. Spock) since monday. i’m doing some banking and going to doctors appointments and buying a new pair of sneakers today. 

well, i’ll be in oakland from june 9th-14th. come say hey to this towhead 5’4” rascal if you’re feeling like you’ve got nothing else to do. 

love y’all ~ happy friday.

Today is one of the best Fridays because tomorrow I am going to LA for a week to see Skip. He will be living there for the next three or four months because he has a job that requires him to sit in a room with a bunch of writers as they some up with the scripts for a TV show. It sounds really tedious! I am hoping he will find some joy in it (the bureaucracy of it gets him down in a really bad way). 

We have made plans to do things like hike Runyon Canyon, visit Griffith Park and get Salt & Straw ice-cream (I will bring my Lact-Aid).

Ryan, Laura and I will probably make curry tonight. And when you're here @soaplitz we'll probably make curry again, because it's all we know how to make.  

On 5/11/2018 at 6:31 PM, Tracey said:

This is exciting! Are you changing jobs/careers, Tombo?

Is it difficult to get a visa for Burma? And or travelers permitted to go wherever they want/just hang out? When I went to China a few years ago I had to supply a itinerary and every location in which I was staying (down to the hotel address) and the details of every tour I was joining (I was traveling with my parents and they're into bus tours), and it felt kind of oppressive! Like, I personally prefer to just go to a place and walk around and see what happens, but Chinese immigration is not into that.

hey, sorry for not responding, i was respecting The Rules Of The Thread (TROTT). i'm, uh, just doing whatever. tourist visa down there only lasts a month. you dont have to give much info but there is designated zones where tourists can go and places they cant. walk around and see what happens is definitely my approach in any trip. i guess i'll head to Thailand when my Visa runs out. maybe i can get a job around there (I am, ostensibly, an Englsih teacher). if i don't find anything or I feel like going back to Europe I will do so in September, but I'll probably relocate to a new city, probably Prague. It all depends on a lot of stuff but that is basically the plan. 

hi fridayers

i went to a free informational session on Transcendental Meditation this week. the organization sounds like a moneygrubbing cult, the benefits all sound infinitely too good to be true, but david lynch swears by it soooooooo i'm feeling like i might give it a try anyway.

happy weekend

It's friday.  I have about a million projects to finish before NEXT friday but in the meantime I'm just happy that it's a cold spring in Oakland. 

Tomorrow is my dad's 71st birthday and his first year as a retired human.  We weren't close when I was growing up, but now he is my good friend.Happy almost birthday to him.

img087.thumb.jpg.ae46b195805b609a613c40d2e4776118.jpg 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, alaynoboost said:

It's friday.  I have about a million projects to finish before NEXT friday but in the meantime I'm just happy that it's a cold spring in Oakland. 

Tomorrow is my dad's 71st birthday and his first year as a retired human.  We weren't close when I was growing up, but now he is my good friend.Happy almost birthday to him.

img087.thumb.jpg.ae46b195805b609a613c40d2e4776118.jpg 

Happy retirement to your dad, Alayna!

My dad retired a few years ago. I felt very stressed in the lead-up to it because I was worried that, in his new boredom, he would drink himself to death. I guess I should have given him way more credit, because instead of reverting to alcoholism (which had been a thing in the past), he took up exercising, reading novels (in Chinese), calligraphy lessons, and now regularly meets up with his friends (a growing number of whom are also retired) for dim sum. He also keeps the family dogs company, which they love. It has seriously been The Best Case Scenario.

I have been in Los Angeles this week. Skip is working on a show on the Paramount Pictures lot, so we're staying in a very sparse apartment across the street from it. On Wednesday night we walked past a trailer, and the door was open, and inside was Martin Sheen buttoning up a Hawaiian shirt. His name escaped me in the moment, so I mouthed to Skip, "It's the President from the West Wing!" A few minutes later I thought, "Oh his name is Michael Douglas!" Yeah, it was not Michael Douglas. It was Martin Sheen!

I sure am glad it is Friday! I sure don't want to work any more!

Edited by Tracey