splendorr

T.U.I.F.

Posted (edited)

that stands for thank unions it's friday!!!!!!!

this is the topic where you can ONLY post on FRIDAY. it has to technically be friday somewhere in the world at the time that you post. do NOT even come to me with "it's always fri o'clock somewhere"

i'm gonna kick this off by saying HEY! it's friday. that rules because as so many citizens do, i work every day, monday through friday, and i get excited thinking about not having to work tomorrow! wow, that is such an invigorating thought. sometimes i also work on saturdays and sundays; that's a cool thing about the modern age! just working all the got damn time

tonight there's gonna be a fun dj at a little bar i like, and i'm probably gonna go dancing! sometimes there's 30 people there, and sometimes there's only like 2! you never know. i like to dance by myself, trying not to bother anybody, regardless of who all is there. but it's fun when there's a room full of dancing people and you can just not think about shit for a little while! sometimes you see a booty go whomp, but a lot of times you don't really want to see that! and dancing is something that is limited mostly to fridays (and sometimes saturdays)

and so for that, i honor the sacrifices of our unionized forebears in restricting work to the extent possible

and i celebrate

FRIDAY

what the heck is going on in your neck of the friday

Edited by splendorr

Posted (edited)

I am reading a lawsuit in preparation for interviewing a lawyer this afternoon.

But man, I love Friday evenings, not because it's a night for going out (I do not go out on Friday nights, normally), but because I get to stop doing the work I don't like doing, and there are two days ahead where I can continue to not do work I don't like doing.

Skip took this video of me on the Friday before Christmas of last year. I was so thrilled because I got to have THREE days off. I also enjoy vigorous dancing, but not at bars (I don't enjoy bars). I dance so hard it is basically high intensity interval training. 

Edited by Tracey

30 minutes ago, Tracey said:

I am reading a lawsuit in preparation for interviewing a lawyer this afternoon.

But man, I love Friday evenings, not because it's a night for going out (I do not go out on Friday nights, normally), but because I get to stop doing the work I don't like doing, and there are two days ahead where I can continue to not do work I don't like doing.

Skip took this video of me on the Friday before Christmas of last year. I was so thrilled because I got to have THREE days off. I also enjoy vigorous dancing, but not at bars (I don't enjoy bars). I dance so hard it is basically high intensity interval training. 

Friggin twinkle toes over here! I love it!

I am pitching my two cents in here too. I love the weekends for the same reason Trix and Splend cited. Not working on the work you don't really like after doing it for 60 hours - nearly straight - is a godsend.

I can't think about the work without feeling like such a chump. They got us doing stuff we don't like for a pittance and have somehow convinced us to do it essentially all the time. :fatguy:

@Tracey this is fantastic! you are a joyful dancer.

i don't like most bars, either. but there are a couple here in athens that, every week or two, will convert into dance hall spaces and mostly nice people go and just dance! i loved dancing as a little kid, and then my parents discouraged me because of homophobia, and then i got really depressed and never went out for many years! but a little over a year ago, i was like, "dang, you know what, i want to learn to enjoy dancing," and i have a pretty good time just going and moving my body for a couple hours!

but i never really think about doing it at home...! i remember making up dances when i was like, 6. i remember a CD we checked out from the library, of songs from the muppets! and i loved that album, and i remember choreographing a dance to the song "mister bass man," as performed by scooter. i called my parents in to watch me dance on top of the coffee table, and i remember the energy in the room being pretty rough because they were uncomfortable with their little boy dancing! and then i did musical theater and stuff where i would dance sometimes, and took some ballroom lessons in middle school, but by the end of high school i was just like, "eh, who even cares about dancing!" i really took on that enculturation big time.

so i'm not super good at it or anything, but i've gone out to dance dozens of times in the last year or so, and it's really fun! good for dancing, and good for you!

but as @CoffinJerk says, we get convinced to go to work doing stuff we don't really enjoy, at the expense of so much else. the main reason i was able to go dancing so much this last year was because i worked freelance, so i could set my own schedule, and i could sleep in until 10 or 11, work until 7 or 8, and then stay out until 1 or 2! that ruled! i felt great. now i'm working a 9–5 office job and having a hard time being awake for work, let alone for dancing late at night. it sucks an enormous amount! they're paying me better than i've ever made before, but the morale... the morale is low

but hey! it is FRIDAY and that feeling of anticipation is just... mwah! that's a kiss sound. i would never kiss a chef because they're covered in flour, but you get the idea!

why do we say mwah for kiss sounds? that's like, a sound you have to choose to make. most kisses in my experience sound more like pk or pep! but there's a little "m" sound in there. like, mpep!

or like, lelelleeleleelellelelel

Speaking of dancing, I took a break on this here Friday to watch some ice dancing. I love these people. 

27 minutes ago, Tracey said:

Speaking of dancing, I took a break on this here Friday to watch some ice dancing. I love these people. 

beautiful.PNG.94aedfc64f82fb4cabef951731c3c8ad.PNG

life can be beautiful

i am still working right now. i have to do a few things about our ~social media~, but soon i'll be done! 

i don't dance but i LOVE a lot of things about the weekend! especially weekend morning things! i LOVE sleeping in and i LOVE laying in bed all morning reading true crime stuff on my phone with my cat on top of me and i LOVE making extravagant breakfasts with lotsa runny yolks and i LOVE waking up early with the whole day ahead of me!!!! i am so happy for all of us that we get to do things like these for a couple days out of the week!!!!!!!

30 minutes ago, flippityk said:

i am still working right now. i have to do a few things about our ~social media~, but soon i'll be done! 

i don't dance but i LOVE a lot of things about the weekend! especially weekend morning things! i LOVE sleeping in and i LOVE laying in bed all morning reading true crime stuff on my phone with my cat on top of me and i LOVE making extravagant breakfasts with lotsa runny yolks and i LOVE waking up early with the whole day ahead of me!!!! i am so happy for all of us that we get to do things like these for a couple days out of the week!!!!!!!

another homerun thread by mr. nick “uncaged” spendorr, who has inspired the beautiful people of this secret kingdom to share such nice things with we who dwell here away from the world

Just now, starsailor said:

another homerun thread by mr. nick “uncaged” spendorr, who has inspired the beautiful people of this  secret kingdom to share such nice things with we the few who dwell here away from the world

yeah this thread is a+ 100 emoji!!!!!!

1 hour ago, flippityk said:

aw dang i love all these things, too! one of the great things about friday is just looking over that vast expanse of weekend and going: finally

i love making an extravagant breakfast, too! i got a cast iron skillet for the first time last year and after years of sticky, non-non-stick pans, i love making food in the skillet! i’ll heat it up, drop some butter in there and swirl it around, fry up some eggs, some veggie sausage patties, hell i’ll even toast a bagel and then put THAT in there so it gets caramelized on the top! i love making breakfast!!!

saturday is a really good thing about friday

Posted (edited)

y’all get your friday posts in before the hand of darkness sweeps across the world leaving nothing but langolier food and saturday reveries

very grateful to everyone for the good friday talk! thank U it’s friday :3

Edited by splendorr

personal friday update: i have been to a bar to visit with a friend, where we had “dirty snowman” drinks, which is hot chocolate with whiskey! and it is my intent to go to a dance party, despite feeling the damp liquid of depression creeping up the long garment of my spirit

4 hours ago, splendorr said:

personal friday update: i have been to a bar to visit with a friend, where we had “dirty snowman” drinks, which is hot chocolate with whiskey! and it is my intent to go to a dance party, despite feeling the damp liquid of depression creeping up the long garment of my spirit

back in the old oakland days when we would beta test VIDEOBALL on VIDEOBALL CLUB SUNDAYS, we would give each other nicknames

me and mccune combined were The Junkyard Dogs cuz you better believe we junkyard dogg’d it all the livelong day

anyway: i named tim THE DIRTY WIZARD because he did all this weird stuff in the shadows to stress test features while the rest of us fools howled like the forgotten children of the world that we were and remain

yeah. love u splendorr. you’re my dirty snowman :snowman:

On 3/9/2018 at 11:17 PM, starsailor said:

back in the old oakland days when we would beta test VIDEOBALL on VIDEOBALL CLUB SUNDAYS, we would give each other nicknames

me and mccune combined were The Junkyard Dogs cuz you better believe we junkyard dogg’d it all the livelong day

anyway: i named tim THE DIRTY WIZARD because he did all this weird stuff in the shadows to stress test features while the rest of us fools howled like the forgotten children of the world that we were and remain

yeah. love u splendorr. you’re my dirty snowman :snowman:

sorry it took me all week (because of the cyclical nature of the TUIF portal) to be able to tell you this, starsailor but: love u too dude

IT'S THAT GOOD DAY OF THE WEEK AGAIN, EVERYBODY

and i am feelin~~~~ THANKful

i'm especially thankful today because i am taking the next WEEK off from work to go to the big golden city, the nightmare on silicon street, the place where even the merely rich are homeless, that's right: san frannnnncisco. but more importantly, i get to stay in oakland! i love oakland, and have had some of the nicest days of my life there.

(i just got a bad deja vu that somehow the trip was about to be cancelled... but i will not allow this dark future to arise)

so basically thinking that not only do i not to have work for a week, but that i will also get to hang out with cool friends i don't get to see very often, basically just has me bumpin' and grindin' around the office like a jamiroquai pinball machine

what's good on this friday, donut secret housecats??

Posted (edited)

You know, I was feeling a little bad this morning because I was thinking of an interview I have to do in a few hours, and immediately after that I have to go into San Francisco to do another interview, and I really don't like going into San Francisco, but your post sure did pick me up a bit, @splendorr! This really is such an optimistic thread.

Things I have to look forward to once I get all these interviews out of the way:

- I have my last Saturday writing class tomorrow. I love this class, so I am glad to be going. But I also love sleeping in, so I am glad it will be the last time in the foreseeable future that I will have to wake up at 8 a.m. to go into SF on a weekend. 

- I get to hang out with y'all at some point, maybe Sunday night, or maybe a night after that. 

- I do not get next week off, nor am I attending GDC, but two people I used to work with (who I remain fond of) will be in town for GDC and I will get to see them. 

I also just made myself a banana pancake now.

IMG_3589.thumb.JPG.602b0147f8bb4381a5927ea7c7383c98.JPG

Edited by Tracey

@Tracey that is a very tasty looking pancake~

My first job got canceled today in true TUIF spirit.  This means that I’ve gotten to shuffle/dance/loaf around in my pajams all morning to the sound of rain and birds outside.  Soon my good friend, whom I see rarely because she lives in San Francisco, will be coming to Oakland.  It will be nice to see her face.  Sometimes being near my friends versus texting or talking on the phone in-between jobs feels like a luxury.  Recently I quit one of my jobs so I could have more time to see people, draw, cook, read, and be alone.  It has been fantastic.

In the afternoon I work until 9 at an art museum in Berkeley in the intensely red lowest level.  It is a weird shift.  There are “regulars” who usually comprise of very old or very young people, college kids on drugs, creeps, hooligans, travelers, and first dates.  Sometimes nobody shows up at all.  Tonight I will be cutting a massive amount of prints into 4.25x5.5 postcards to give to the artists who participated in the upstairs installation.  Working on the laser cutter is very peaceful - it allows my mind to empty out. 

@Tracey aw dang, that makes me feel good! i love the genuine pleasure of an anticipated weekend (and also i am deliberately trying to be more grateful for the good stuff in my life, when i can! thanks for coming along, everybody — in this thread, at least }:D )

that pancake looks great! and i'm glad you get to see some friends this week. i'm looking forward to hanging out with y'all~~~~!

@alaynoboost making more time for friends is totally TUIF. good for you! i get what you mean about real, in-person friend time feeling like this rare luxury... we feel the ghostly presence of other communication forms, but it is just really nice to be together and do anything or nothing with people you care about. looking forward to doing that without being super-exhausted after a long work day is just one of many good weekend feelins!

when you say that the art museum is "intensely red," do you mean it has red lighting, or it's painted red, or what? good luck in there regardless! last night i went with a friend to an art museum 30 minutes before it closed, and there was nobody there except a couple of college-age people watching over the gallery. they were clearly tired and probably kind of mad that we showed up, but we had a nice time looking at some paintings and i thanked them for being there so we could have an Art Moment.

another thing i'm looking forward to this weekend is that, as a rare treat to myself, i just got a 2DS XL! i saw @starsailor's blog posts with screenshots from Earthbound and Breath of Fire 2, and i thought, "dang, it would be nice to hang out with those games on the plane tomorrow," and so i finally got this neat little pocket computer they call the "new" "nintendo" "2ds" "xl". it reminds me of the feeling of going out on a friday afternoon with my mom and brother, usually to blockbuster, to see what entertainment objects we would enjoy over the weekend. i had such a capacity for anticipation and excitement; i rarely feel that strongly about anything anymore, but i'm feeling that way about this whole trip! and so even though i didn't need a new video game thing, it felt kinda good to just dig in and be excited about all of it all at once.

now i'm about to download some 20-year-old games, so i can spend some relaxing time within the contemplative and compulsive worlds of yesteryear, as i zoom into the terrifying but still-hopeful world of tomorrow...!

17 minutes ago, splendorr said:

when you say that the art museum is "intensely red," do you mean it has red lighting, or it's painted red, or what?

The museum stairwells and stuff are literally painted all intense red. 

Posted (edited)

Here’s some pics including alayna on her birthday

also this reminded me the cabinets in the art lab are also super red 

4FF4177A-2A6D-4FE8-9D22-E70C4CD53C04.jpeg

0A5EA5EF-128A-4017-9E7C-C1CBFAACECA5.jpeg

0DFCADF6-6DE7-44FE-937A-73E5BFC6915C.jpeg

Edited by _S_

Wow also here’s a picture with a lot going on but you can see the red elevator and stairwell and I think that drawing is a map of what areas are red in that level of the museum but idk if I took that in when I took this picture. It’s missing the red cabinet wall though. 

0CC6AEE0-14EF-4DC5-8AAF-0709C7D779E1.thumb.png.3005c6628e9438c4cac611e1a64d63c3.png

Yeah honestly idk what that watermark is from. It’s a Pokémon go picture so.......... does Pokémon go do that?? But my name on Pokémon go isn’t my name I think but I don’t even rly remember. 

TUIF! i'm glad your all's weekends have some good things in them! today i had a meeting from 8-9am, so to make up for it i went back to sleep from 9-10am, and that was good. 

some other good things in my weekend: 

• making ramen tonight (not like hcore from scratch ramen, but the sun noodle kits they have at berk bowl)
  • my new hiking boots! gonna wear them on some hikes
  • probably gonna watch something spooky while sewing. last night we watched THE BAY, which is pretty bad but in a good way

last thing, my orchid is getting ready to bloom again! will it happen this weekend? no one knows, but it's exciting