Hali

Movies

14 hours ago, swampfriend said:

hoogle who is hal ashby

wrong thread, dad

14 hours ago, rinv said:

it looks just like star wars

Man, come on. If only SW interiors were that impressionistically minimal! Then at times, if only SW were that symmetrical in production design!

I guess, yeah, it is in space. And I guess, yeah, there are some people in uniforms........... . . . . .    .  .       .    .       .             .          .

13 hours ago, rinv said:

i don't get it...

marryy.png.8a3d559d288670fe83788a88e36eaf84.png

@rinv i'm honestly surprised they let children just sit there and watch mary down can after can of big fat honkin delicious pabst blue ribbbbbooonnnn

2 hours ago, CoffinJerk said:

Man, come on. If only SW interiors were that impressionistically minimal! Then at times, if only SW were that symmetrical in production design!

I guess, yeah, it is in space. And I guess, yeah, there are some people in uniforms........... . . . . .    .  .       .    .       .             .          .

it was an overly dismissive joke! i think those screenshots probably look cooler than anything in any star wars!!!!

2 hours ago, starsailor said:

@rinv i'm honestly surprised they let children just sit there and watch mary down can after can of big fat honkin delicious pabst blue ribbbbbooonnnn

i hate this

@rinv i feel like you're catching an unwarranted amount of heat right now. sorry about what happened to mary.

y'all need a cool beverage so you can chill!!

maybe this'll help

5a99accdbf11b_threebillboards.thumb.jpg.be86edcb95c079c78ed2a72769ca8086.jpg

3 minutes ago, splendorr said:

@rinv i feel like you're catching an unwarranted amount of heat right now. sorry about what happened to mary.

y'all need a cool beverage so you can chill!!

maybe this'll help

you're just making it worse

1 minute ago, splendorr said:

okay this is definitely gonna help

5a99af3e1cc0b_somethingmaryposter.jpg.0b825c3fd9c75dc87c8999c95ac3caa0.jpg

aaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted (edited)

i watched American Heist, a wildly dumb movie, only tangentially related to heists, with the aesthetic and narrative sensibility of The Fast And The Furious. Adrien Brody brings to life a hilariously overdramatic persona, and the script is a lil gold mine. The version I watched, unfortunately, didn't have subtitles available, but i swear in this scene Adrien Brody is yelling at the top of his lungs "They fucked me in the ass, Marty! The fucked me in the ass with toothpaste!".

DA66F2A6-737D-45E1-8865-1C7E5BA37126.thumb.jpeg.8b82b1cab3e5af1d091515afe7550b7c.jpeg

D375AEAA-1A00-4865-ADC5-33ACD06C0335.thumb.jpeg.10623a3dc49d950503cb32e182e6fc63.jpeg

E94B51C2-1107-4F48-86A5-4BAB0C6CC234.thumb.jpeg.952d53fc539e814d6cb146b02e5b2b34.jpeg

FA14E555-DED1-4C3E-B919-DBAC7ED95142.thumb.jpeg.82ffe605b89eb4f90631b11f6f9269b5.jpegB8BEC1D0-E5EB-4A0B-96DF-8591BF99CD72.thumb.jpeg.606374192c8717f87f99ce0766978482.jpeg

Edited by tombo
it's Adrien, not Adrian

what a wonderful world it is, where i can have a nice, oversized reproduction of this man's facial expressions looping over and over again in my living room

8 minutes ago, tombo said:

what a wonderful world it is, where i can have a nice, oversized reproduction of this man's facial expressions looping over and over again in my living room

it is a good face

i don’t want to get into the details but let me just say that yeah you definitely don’t want to be fucked in the ass with toothpaste

I watched Adrien Brody in "The Pianist" a bunch of years ago, and I recall thinking 1) Dude has a great face, and 2) It's a disappointing movie if what you're really after is footage of someone playing lots of hot tunes on a piano (it is what I look for when I watch films and television shows where musicians are the subject). For a pianist, he sure does not play a lot of piano during the movie! It is mostly a sad WWII movie. I suppose most WWII movies are sad. 

I just looked the movie up on Wikipedia, and I learned that Roman Polanski directed it. I made a face! Kind of like, :-/

The end! 

i like adrien brody a lot in Predators

Posted (edited)

Life Is Beautiful is a happy WWII film and also features a man with a great face

183149_1.2.jpg 617358_1.2.jpg benigni_square_md.jpg download.jpg.838f98294fe020607a9c71b92af73ca5.jpg

also i saw The Shape Of Water at the cinema yesterday. i had a good time with it, and it felt like everyone involved did as well. it's a simple story whose individual elements are twisted and exaggerated with taste. it feels a little bit like a comic book, with strong shadows and silhouettes, a moody color palette for each location, lots of detailed props... it's not afraid of being unusual, unbelievable, or whacky. it's earnest about itself and it revels in both tenderness and brutality. i liked it!

Edited by tombo

15 hours ago, rinv said:

i like adrien brody a lot in Predators

PREDATORS FOREVER.

Great teeny little sci-fi film. I watch it at least once a month.

@swampfriend fight me!

Well me and elinor watched Verónica

last night i watched annihilation

Spoiler

and i thought it had some cool stuff in it, but most of the things people said were really stupid, and a lot of good actors were directed to act like they were in a high school theater production of ghostbusters!

i didn't like all the blood and murder! don't make me watch anyone, let alone two people, get their throats literally ripped out on-screen! WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE WHO MAKE MOVIES??? do you have to be a sociopath to get a movie made, or what? why do you think i want to hear someone throwing up into a microphone for thirty seconds, or stare at a nice lady getting mauled by a fucking horrible skull-bear??? WHY DID YOU THINK THAT IS WHAT NEEDED TO BE IN THE MOVIE

and the end, in my opinion, was a fucking joke! the creature was stupid, and was literally just a freshman drama performance art piece. and guess what guys, they already made this movie in 1995 and it was called species!!!

they made the classic and frankly unacceptable error of "showing the monster" at the end when they definitely didn't need to! i thought it was kinda neat when her husband was duplicated, but then when she started dancing with the rainbow plastic dude i was like, "this is dumb"

the people who made this movie really like alien and 2001 without understanding what made those movies meaningful. and according to my friend caleb, the movie was so different from the book as to be a completely different and worse story. i think the director of this movie probably said, "i like the book, but i want to play to the strengths of film. let's let the book do what books do best, but i want to tell like, a more visually-impactful story"

and caleb told me to go read the book so we could talk about it. so last night i read the first ten pages of the book and let me tell you: in two pages i understood that the movie had missed out on one hundred interesting possibilities, and in ten pages i could see that the movie was a complete mistake

it looked cool, but the fact there was only ONE nice pair of animals and TWO weird monster animals SUCKED!! more beautiful animals please

it was fine

Posted (edited)

OH WOW while i was watching annihilation i thought, "this reminds me a lot of sunshine, including the mistakes it made at the end" and it turns out alex garland wrote both movies!!! sorry he didn't learn anything.

Spoiler

sunshine is a movie that would have been pretty cool if there hadn't been a real monster in it, and the same thing is true of annihilation, except also everything else about the movie's dialogue and plot needed to change

i understand this will be controversial because alex garland also wrote donut secret house favorite dredd

dredd is good because it was typed with a sledgehammer. annihilation needed a scalpel

Edited by splendorr

i watched Sunshine when i was in Morocco. Over there, american movies are on TV all the time, but curse words are bleeped out, and when even remotely violent, sexual or gory content appears, the screen goes black and you can only hear the sounds. So with a film like Sunshine, the ending was mostly a black screen. it was maddeningly weird to watch!

6 minutes ago, tombo said:

i watched Sunshine when i was in Morocco. Over there, american movies are on TV all the time, but curse words are bleeped out, and when even remotely violent, sexual or gory content appears, the screen goes black and you can only hear the sounds. So with a film like Sunshine, the ending was mostly a black screen. it was maddeningly weird to watch!

actually it sounds like you were the lucky one

7 minutes ago, tombo said:

whoa, that's interesting! it probably worked better, thematically, to just have the movie literally fall apart at the end