Hali

Movies

2 hours ago, starsailor said:

it's ok but, having actually come from a place like this, it definitely feels like a guy who has lived in LA or england his whole life wrote it, because a lot of it rings hollow

like, "this is what a racist person in a small town sounds like (according to some other movies i've watched that broach this subject)"

weird criticism of a small aspect of a large movie

2 hours ago, starsailor said:

if this means anything, i haven't thought about it once since i saw it

it doesn't lol

6 minutes ago, swampfriend said:

it doesn't lol

starsailor got starfrosted

5 minutes ago, soaplitz said:

starsailor got starfrosted

i did not get frosted just because kerwin was snippy about my own opinion of a movie i didn’t like lol

2 minutes ago, starsailor said:

i did not get frosted just because kerwin was snippy about my own opinion of a movie i didn’t like lol

1416207019131_wps_117_Sunday_November_16_2014_J.thumb.png.5cf8441f5b6f3b514c9f91ae975111f2.png

10 minutes ago, starsailor said:

so did you not like it or did you think it was ok?????? you're all over the fr**kin map on this one

10 minutes ago, swampfriend said:

so did you not like it or did you think it was ok?????? you're all over the fr**kin map on this one

it is a perfectly serviceable vehicle for collecting academy awards

a perfectly serviceable vehicle

way to prevaricate lol

"a lot of it rings hollow" is hardly a weird criticism of a small aspect. you don't need to be american to notice how detached from it's setting the writing is.

McDonagh's first film, Six Shooter, is about a man travelling home to Dublin after his wife passed away. It's entirely set in this train ride, and this is what a little monologue from it looks like:

-Here, do you want to hear me story about the cow with trapped wind? It's a fucking deadly story.

-I would. I would like to hear it.

-Would you? Fuck me! And the thing is, it's fucking true, like. That's the mad thing. So I was at this cattle fair with me da when I was seven. All these fucking cows around, as you get at cattle fairs. And then this one cow got this trapped wind, like. There's a technical name for it, but I don't know what the fuck it is. Anyways, this cow starts expanding like a mad thing, starts fucking ballooning up, and that's really dangerous 'cause they can die like that. And nobody knew what to do till this short, tiny fella popped up. He was just passing by, like. And he takes out a fucking screwdriver and jumps into the pen, and everybody's going, "Oh, fuck, no", like, and the short fella starts stabbing big fucking holes in the side of this cow, like. And we all thought he was mental, going stabbing a cow, like. But then the cow started deflating back to normal, 'cause that's what you're supposed to do with a cow with trapped wind. Stab the fucker. So everybody gave this short fella a round of applause for being so on the ball, like. But then he starts giving us his whole life story about what an expert he is on fucking cows. And he says this gas that's coming out of the cow, it's the exact same gas as the gas in your oven back home, and everybody said, "Fuck off, is it the same." But the short fella said, "It is. Watch." And he lights the fucking gas, like, so there's this stream of fucking fire shooting out of this cow, and we were so impressed, like, and we gave him another round of applause. But then the gas must've backed up inside or something 'cause the cow fucking exploded. Best day of me fucking life, that cow exploding.

-This is me.

-You're off here, are you? Fair enough, so. You were starting to bore the tits off me.

-Good luck to you.

-Fella? Sorry to hear about your dead missus and all.

-Oh. Yeah. Thank you. Sorry about your mam.

-Ah, no loss.

and this, from In Bruges: 

I think his writing is richer, weirder and funnier in these films because he's drawing from the vocabulary and culture that is deeply ingrained in him. Seven Psychopaths is goofy and the writing works (a lot of that thing where one character exaggeratedly repeats what the other just said, love it), but it's more bare bones, has less flair. 

Three Billboards touches a setting and touchy topics with the subtlety of a tourist that doesn't speak the language. The forced drama-comedy and constant tonal changes are jarring and unnatural, like a mediocre script whose lines were puched up out of context. 

unsubtlety, forced comedy-drama, and constant tonal changes are all quite separate from the crime of inauthentic regional vocabulary. and for what it's worth i didn't find the setting to be terribly essential to any other part of the movie, possibly BECAUSE it just felt like a regular (to me) small town like the one i'm from in real actual life

i like it better when this thread was starsailor's frostocalypse

:bigboo::bigboo::bigboo:

when are we all gonna watch a movie together?

5 minutes ago, swampfriend said:

unsubtlety, forced comedy-drama, and constant tonal changes are all quite separate from the crime of inauthentic regional vocabulary. and for what it's worth i didn't find the setting to be terribly essential to any other part of the movie, possibly BECAUSE it just felt like a regular (to me) small town like the one i'm from in real actual life

i don't think it's "inauthentic regional vocabulary" so much as it is, as tombo was getting at, that this guy was out of his element in making a movie like this

1 minute ago, swampfriend said:

i guess i was just remembering you picking on the dialogue, specifically, as we left the theater

ah yeah i mean like the "vocabulary" of the movie . . . not just the forced slang and stuff like that.

QUOTH TOMBO: "you don't need to be american to notice how detached from its setting the writing is"

to me it just feels like this guy sat down and thought: "i want to make a movie that tackles tensions in a small closed-minded american town" and then read a book about missouri or something while 'avin a cup'o tea ey guv

QUOTH TOMBO: "you don't need to be american to notice how detached from its setting the writing is"

but it helps!!

anyway maybe i'm too dumb to understand movies but it seems like one reason we aren't seeing eye to eye is that it seems like y'all think the movie is ABOUT small town america more than i think it is

after reading your ~feeling~ that the movie happened when a guy sat down and thought he'd write about tension etc i looked up where it actually came from and it is as simple as this: 17 years ago he was in the south and he saw some billboards calling out the police over an unsolved crime, and said "the rage that put a bunch of billboards like that up was palpable and stayed with me." hey!!!!!!!! that is one of several aspects of the film that i found very compelling too!

but we're making sennett uncomfortable so now it is time to talk about something else.

1 minute ago, swampfriend said:

please, for sennett's sake. that's enough.

i am content to never talk about this movie again. i don't feel strongly about it at all . . . . . . was just enjoying the DISCOURSE :moon:

3 minutes ago, starsailor said:

i am content to never talk about this movie again. i don't feel strongly about it at all . . . . . . was just enjoying the DISCOURSE :moon:

thank you, i thought no one would ever help me out here

7 minutes ago, starsailor said:

it's more like the DISS COURTS... and court is in session