Hali

Movies

i've never had problems with people being rude or loud at the cinema.

once I went to see The Day After Tomorrow in a big 3D cinema with my uncle and cousin. halfway through the film, my uncle got up, said "this is stupid", and walked out. my cousin promptly followed without uttering a word. i sat there for a minute, not knowing what to do, and eventually left as well. 

i saw "hereditary". i hated it. i'm never watching another contemporary horror movie ever again.

the movie theatre experience was horrible too. i had to turn around and yell at some punk-ass teenage boys. 

32 minutes ago, soaplitz said:

i saw "hereditary". i hated it. i'm never watching another contemporary horror movie ever again.

the movie theatre experience was horrible too. i had to turn around and yell at some punk-ass teenage boys. 

have you seen The VVitch?

3 hours ago, rinv said:

have you seen The VVitch?

my mom and i were staying at a friend's house in LA and when i got home they were watching it sooo i watched as few minutes and then said: see ya!

On 6/15/2018 at 6:13 PM, rinv said:

i just walked out of Hereditary because people came in 5 minutes late and started going to town on a crinkly popcorn bag directly in front of me.

have you ever walked out of a movie?

i almost walked out of Hereditary after a really upsetting scene but i got roped into staying by my friend

and then i got berated for hating the movie because "i don't know how to judge horror" lol another day in paradise at the movies here in sunny california 

23 hours ago, soaplitz said:

i almost walked out of Hereditary after a really upsetting scene but i got roped into staying by my friend

and then i got berated for hating the movie because "i don't know how to judge horror" lol another day in paradise at the movies here in sunny california 

there’s enough upsetting scenes that i’m curious which one that was. i’d love to hear your expanded thoughts! i have some misgivings about it that i’m not really sure how to form.

it made me uncomfortable and legitimately chilled at times, and while it doesn’t have the same droning dread that could bring me to love it the way i do the other spooky standouts from the A24 catalogue (The VVitch / The Blackcoat’s Daughter) i’m glad i planned for and achieved an optimal theatre experience (10am on a sunday. i was the only one there.) 

Posted (edited)

went to see The Man Who Killed Don Quixote twice this week

i haven't had such a good time in a movie theater for a while. it's a long film, but it's still surprising how much *stuff*, how many events per minute the guy (Terry Gilliam) has crammed in there. both main actors are insanely good, specially Jonathan Pryce, who revels with gusto in his Don Quijote like a kid with a new toy. i didn't like Adam Driver before, which is appropriate since this is -rather unusually- the story of the humbling down of an asshole; and man does he have one in him. Terry Gilliam is aware of his own hubris and hypocrisy in making this film, but he holds on tightly to the radical innocence celebrated by the book and shows not just fetishism, but real love and appreciation for the character and beauty of Spain. perhaps it's the 25 years that have passed since he started trying to make it that have kind of accidentally produced an unusually rich, unusually carefree film. 

i was not aware of the most recent production troubles (it almost didn't get released and it's release in the US is uncertain). i also didn't know the critics have ripped it to shreds. welp, whatever, i enjoyed it very much! 

Edited by tombo

On 6/22/2018 at 6:08 AM, rinv said:

there’s enough upsetting scenes that i’m curious which one that was. i’d love to hear your expanded thoughts! i have some misgivings about it that i’m not really sure how to form.

it made me uncomfortable and legitimately chilled at times, and while it doesn’t have the same droning dread that could bring me to love it the way i do the other spooky standouts from the A24 catalogue (The VVitch / The Blackcoat’s Daughter) i’m glad i planned for and achieved an optimal theatre experience (10am on a sunday. i was the only one there.) 

that stupid telephone pole car accident scene, and the shot of . .. .  you know . . . the morning after the accident. unnecessary. i especially don't like it when small children are under those circumstances in film. horror or not i think it's wrong. sorrrrrrry! 

yeah so there was a group of five boys who were probably fifteen years old sitting directly behind me. one (or two) of them kept clucking when the movie was silent. that aside, there was a group of teenagers that were on a double date to my left. now, make some mouth sounds right now. okay! thats what i had to listen to on top of the clucking and giggling from the boys behind me! the teen girl who was on one of the dates kept texting and snap-chatting throughout the movie as well. eventually the clucking got so annoying and i was goddamn tired of it AND hearing people huff and puff and stir in their seats. it would take a lot for me to say something, aloud, in a dark theatre with a movie playing. it would take even more from me to do that while seeing a movie i am nearly positive i already despise. so i sat up and turned around and said:

"FUCKING DO IT AGAIN YOU LITTLE SHIT."

they were silent after that and the teen couples next to me didn't move a muscle for the remainder of the movie. 

On 6/27/2018 at 9:45 PM, soaplitz said:

that stupid telephone pole car accident scene, and the shot of . .. .  you know . . . the morning after the accident. unnecessary. i especially don't like it when small children are under those circumstances in film. horror or not i think it's wrong. sorrrrrrry!

this scene is a candidate for the kids getting smoked thread. but yeah - it made me feel awful.

i have never had the courage to tell someone to be quiet in the theater. i'm glad you did!! i think more people need to.

this year has been kind of a stinker for movies so far. i've only seen a few i liked and the rest of the stuff on the calender seems pretty passable to me. i guess i'm going to see that Halloween on sunday though...

Let The Corpses Tan

almost purely kinetic. the director's have a penchant for hyper-closeups, hair-standing foley, and dance-like pacing. the giallo-stylings of Amer/The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears have been supplanted with an outlaw crime backdrop and the color palette is almost exclusively blue, gold, and black. it changes perspectives and rolls back the timeline on a regular basis in a really playful way. i loved it!

Mandy

i'm extremely tired of lady-gets-murdered-and-must-be-avenged stories but i'll take the hypocrite label to say Mandy is in my vogue and i liked it. it's a beautiful, meditative crawl and for the first time i specifically smoked weed in my car before going into the theater, and while i haven't seen it sober yet to compare, i think i made a good call. 

Sorry to Bother You

incredibly vivid, unique style. i thought it was super smart and funny. it goes.

First Reformed

a semi-remake/re-imagination of ingmar bergman's Winter Light. i saw Winter Light after this, and was jarred by how shot-for-shot line-for-line most of it is. First Reformed is better though. Amanda Seyfried gives a performance in this movie that is among the best i have ever seen and now has me thinking that she is severely underappreciated. slow-built and a little heavy handed, but still excellent.