tombo

garbage i saw

i didn't take a picture, but the other day i carried four good looking chairs from outside a luxury hotel to my house. upon searching the internet a little bit i discovered they are Bauhaus S34 Tubular Cantilevered Armchairs, designed by Mart Stam in 1926 and produced again in Italy in the 1960s. they go for about 400$ a pop online! 

We want a picture 

Posted (edited)

they are in a storage place in my building's entrance. they are not in perfect condition, which is probably why they were thrown out. i will fix them up and post a picture. there was a giant pile of garbage outside the hotel though. it was raining, i was on my bike. i don't know if you have those in the US, but in this fine city there's a lot of people that walk around picking up trash to sell it later, usually carrying it in shopping carts. one man of such profession had gotten there before me and had filled two shopping carts with old printing paper and office documents. there was still plenty of it in the garbage pile, along with about a dozen of these S34 chairs, a few "executive" puffy chairs in various states of decomposition, old computers, monitors of the CRT kind, and some disassembled furniture, all progressively getting torn down by the rain. i started talking to the man with the carts.

- this is really good -he said- this is why i love Barcelona. i've been walking around all day, finding nothing, and i was about to go home when i saw this in the distance. they throw away so much good stuff, specially around here!

i asked how we were going to split the bounty.

- i only care about the paper, steel is heavy and they don't give you nothing for it. If i had another cart, I would take all the paper

- i'm pretty sure these are design chairs...

- steel is worth nothing, paper is where it's at. with this, I will buy myself a warm meal, I will go to sleep, and i won't have to work again for three days

as we were talking, a middle class couple holding hands stopped in front of the pile. they each grabbed one chair and continued down the street. i chained my bike to a road sign, stacked two chairs in each of my arms and walked home. the guy offered to stay and guard the rest of the chairs for me, but I refused because I knew I would be too lazy to come back. 

Edited by tombo

damn idk why but that story makes me miss spain. where do you live?

steel is worth nothing, paper is where it's at. with this, I will buy myself a warm meal, I will go to sleep, and i won't have to work again for three days”

this sounds like a line from ‘the sun also rises’ or something

9 minutes ago, starsailor said:

steel is worth nothing, paper is where it's at. with this, I will buy myself a warm meal, I will go to sleep, and i won't have to work again for three days”

this sounds like a line from ‘the sun also rises’ or something

"And then I made macaroni and cheese. The bomb struck our tent. The macaroni flew everywhere. We drank wine."

1 hour ago, _S_ said:

damn idk why but that story makes me miss spain. where do you live?

i'm in Barcelona! Gracia to be precise. it's quite a nice place to live, although i'm probably moving somewhere else soon (feeling a bit stuck, feeling like i want to check out something else, that sort of thing). 

Posted (edited)

it's a great place for trash, i have to say. just tonight i saw this in an entrance

IMG_0104.thumb.JPG.68716063fc9f69cfdc2ee72675ac03cb.JPG

yes, upon closer inspection, it is a pair of makeshift handcuffs and a document detailing the requirements for a surgical intervention

IMG_0106.thumb.JPG.8fa880343c19062a0c4234d123c65298.JPG

IMG_0108.thumb.JPG.47cabc92436147dcb559d15c2b0ab029.JPG

some people were having very loud sex nearby, which may or may not be related

Edited by tombo

"It's a great place for trash." I like that sentence a lot!

12 hours ago, swampfriend said:

hoop dreams

this is devastating

8 minutes ago, splendorr said:

this is devastating

she got them macaroni dreams

2 hours ago, starsailor said:

she got them macaroni dreams

keeb.thumb.jpg.225752dbd0e27fdaf27b9d1c01e2b162.jpg

she got them coconut dreams

5 minutes ago, tombo said:

aaa2.png.b13b183cf808f7c8d3505105f020a9d2.png a2.png.81b9acd8ff0fcd67bcbc06cdb6447d3b.png aa1.png.99d4fa3c3930f72aef7c61fb64ae0e82.png

careful, tombo . . . . or else we'll have to change the title of this thread to "precious little treasures i saw" :cloud: