_S_

Original Content

14 hours ago, soaplitz said:

yeah ok after two hours of suffering and running in circles i've decided i need a crash course in photoshop

Just use layers. What do you want to make I’ll tell you what

15 hours ago, soaplitz said:

yeah ok after two hours of suffering and running in circles i've decided i need a crash course in photoshop

i guess you need to know what you actually want to use photoshop for. do you want to edit photos? or join me and splendorr in making stupid pictures for donut secret house? are you trying to make shapes or design websites?

47 minutes ago, starsailor said:

i guess you need to know what you actually want to use photoshop for. do you want to edit photos? or join me and splendorr in making stupid pictures for donut secret house? are you trying to make shapes or design websites?

i took a PNG from the site of the li’l skeletons from Mother 2 (because we need those guys here on DSH!!!) and it’s impossible for me to crop it and paste it into the transparent background. also for some reason it just isn’t letting me do anything lol. but that’s me i think 

CC: @_S_

20 minutes ago, soaplitz said:

i took a PNG from the site of the li’l skeletons from Mother 2 (because we need those guys here on DSH!!!) and it’s impossible for me to crop it and paste it into the transparent background. also for some reason it just isn’t letting me do anything lol. but that’s me i think 

i'll teach you over the phone!!! this is a good thing to learn

29 minutes ago, starsailor said:

i'll teach you over the phone!!! this is a good thing to learn

um yeah ok can you teach me how to make a butt too

13 minutes ago, soaplitz said:

um yeah ok can you teach me how to make a butt too

don't pretend like i didn't see you frantically editing and deleting posts to arrive at this punchline :cheeryskeleton:

1 minute ago, starsailor said:

don't pretend like i didn't see you frantically editing and deleting posts to arrive at this punchline :cheeryskeleton:

yeah well i made a bad joke lol

20 minutes ago, soaplitz said:

yeah well i made a bad joke lol

welcome to my world :wineghost:

oh hey y'all i got a new computer and i'm having a whole lot of fun with this thing! i can't wait to make a whole bunch of junk on this

are the colors showing up? lord this thing is way cool

6 hours ago, soaplitz said:

impossible how? post the png lol

21 minutes ago, _S_ said:

impossible how? post the png lol

well what i saved wasn't already transparent png so maybe that was it

2 hours ago, soaplitz said:

well what i saved wasn't already transparent png so maybe that was it

ok just open it up, and in the layers section there will be one called background (the only layer). double click that and it'll pop up and say "make new layer" or something. click okay. since its pixels you should be able to do just use the wand to select the background, and delete it. after that you can just export it as a transparent png.

13 hours ago, soaplitz said:

oh hey y'all i got a new computer and i'm having a whole lot of fun with this thing! i can't wait to make a whole bunch of junk on this

are the colors showing up? lord this thing is way cool

what on the earth kind of computer just lets you type in rainbows???? i feel suddenly and unprecedentedly left in the technodust

3 hours ago, splendorr said:

what on the earth kind of computer just lets you type in rainbows???? i feel suddenly and unprecedentedly left in the technodust

Macbook Pro with Touchbar ~ :kirbysnacks:

feeling sad that i don't play the piano very much, i decided to play a little last night.
i pretty quickly started to crystallize a little song. i wrote part of a verse, a chorus, and a bridge.
this is an old habit of mind that happens whether i want it to or not.
but i couldn't find the right place for my voice, maybe because i haven't been singing much lately. maybe because of the pollen.

i recorded some bits, and wrote some notes, but started to just feel sad about the whole enterprise.
and then i reviewed my voice memos app, and realized i've written a 30–90 seconds of a song every two weeks or so for like, the last decade.
i hardly ever complete one, because it doesn't feel like there's a point.

when i was 16 through like 21, writing songs was the most important thing in my life. it was kind of all i had for a while.
and i've never shaken the feeling that i was just getting good at it right before my depression and isolation led me to stop.
this is a source of endless regret and self-recrimination for me.
and the thing is, i never stopped making songs; they come to me, and sometimes i go so far as to begin one.
sometimes i even more or less finish one, but then i feel sad about ever trying to play it again.
but i don't feel like there's much of a point. i don't have a grand vision.
they're just shrapnel my mind throws off as it grinds against itself, something i used to take pleasure in and still sometimes do, briefly,
before losing my momentum and just feeling stupid about it.

and then i lose my focus and just do life & internet garbage for two weeks before i think about writing something else down.

do you ever have something like this? what do you do about it?

On 4/18/2018 at 9:26 AM, soaplitz said:

Macbook Pro with Touchbar ~ :kirbysnacks:

i have one too! 

but h o w

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, splendorr said:

feeling sad that i don't play the piano very much, i decided to play a little last night.
i pretty quickly started to crystallize a little song. i wrote part of a verse, a chorus, and a bridge.
this is an old habit of mind that happens whether i want it to or not.
but i couldn't find the right place for my voice, maybe because i haven't been singing much lately. maybe because of the pollen.

i recorded some bits, and wrote some notes, but started to just feel sad about the whole enterprise.
and then i reviewed my voice memos app, and realized i've written a 30–90 seconds of a song every two weeks or so for like, the last decade.
i hardly ever complete one, because it doesn't feel like there's a point.

when i was 16 through like 21, writing songs was the most important thing in my life. it was kind of all i had for a while.
and i've never shaken the feeling that i was just getting good at it right before my depression and isolation led me to stop.
this is a source of endless regret and self-recrimination for me.
and the thing is, i never stopped making songs; they come to me, and sometimes i go so far as to begin one.
sometimes i even more or less finish one, but then i feel sad about ever trying to play it again.
but i don't feel like there's much of a point. i don't have a grand vision.
they're just shrapnel my mind throws off as it grinds against itself, something i used to take pleasure in and still sometimes do, briefly,
before losing my momentum and just feeling stupid about it.

and then i lose my focus and just do life & internet garbage for two weeks before i think about writing something else down.

I took up violin when I was 15. My parents were not supportive of it. They told me I would eventually give up and it'd be a waste of money. They said it was too late for me to start learning an instrument. I told them to let me do it, and if after a year I gave up, I'd never ask for anything from them ever again.

I stuck with it! But over the years I have taken some very long breaks. I stopped playing when I was 18 because I was studying for senior year exams. I stopped again when I was 22 because I moved to France for study abroad. I didn't play when I was 23 because I told myself I had to focus on finishing college and finding a job. I resumed lessons when I was 24. Then I moved to the U.S. when I was 25 and stopped again because I felt too self-conscious about neighbors hearing me play. I resumed lessons again when I was 27. I stopped again six months ago because I was traveling so much. 

Every time I resume lessons, I repeat whatever grade I was last working on. I feel like, musically, I've been treading water, in the same place, since I was 21. I am not very good at the violin. I still cannot tune it by ear. I cannot practice when I know my housemate is home. I get crippling anxiety at the thought of playing in front of anyone. I am never going to play in an orchestra, I can't imagine I'll ever be good enough to join a quartet. And yet! I haven't given up. I've never "quit" violin. I've taken breaks. And every time I go back and repeat a grade, I try to not think too much about it, because when I am playing I feel really great. I have a lot of fun with it. My mind blocks out everything else (because I am not good at reading music and I have to focus really hard on it). And whenever I finally figure something out, I feel like a cool person! 

Sometimes I feel crummy that I am not better. If I had knuckled down and not taken any breaks and taken the whole thing more seriously, I would probably have completed all the grades and be able to teach by now. I'll have been playing for 15 years. Oh well! Sometimes you should just do things for yourself, not to prove anything or impress anyone, but just because it makes you feel pretty alright. So that's my take on it. If you enjoy doing the thing and it ain't hurtin' anyone, just go ahead and do it. Don't let a fun thing make you feel bad. 

Edited by Tracey

1 hour ago, Tracey said:

Don't let a fun thing make you feel bad. 

I think this is very good advice. And I sympathize with your description of picking it up and putting it down for various reasons.

I made "write songs and be in a band" the most important thing in my life for, like, 5 years or so. And I approached various levels of success, both from a personal and outside perspective. Letting that go was something I did out of a sense of crushing despair and futility, and leaving it behind torments me almost every day.

There are lots of other things I'm interested in, but nothing else has ever felt like a purpose, or like it mattered to me personally. But I walk a line between feeling like it's what I'm still best at, and then that I'm not actually good enough to warrant re-dedicating my life to it. That's a bad set of feelings! I work on not feeling like that all the time.

Well! That's how it's been! I'm never going to stop writing little songs. The question is: will I accept that it's just something I do, and enjoy it for its own sake, or will I begin the uphill trudge of trying to make other people care about it, too? HMMMMMMMMMMM

3 hours ago, splendorr said:

I think this is very good advice. And I sympathize with your description of picking it up and putting it down for various reasons.

I made "write songs and be in a band" the most important thing in my life for, like, 5 years or so. And I approached various levels of success, both from a personal and outside perspective. Letting that go was something I did out of a sense of crushing despair and futility, and leaving it behind torments me almost every day.

There are lots of other things I'm interested in, but nothing else has ever felt like a purpose, or like it mattered to me personally. But I walk a line between feeling like it's what I'm still best at, and then that I'm not actually good enough to warrant re-dedicating my life to it. That's a bad set of feelings! I work on not feeling like that all the time.

Well! That's how it's been! I'm never going to stop writing little songs. The question is: will I accept that it's just something I do, and enjoy it for its own sake, or will I begin the uphill trudge of trying to make other people care about it, too? HMMMMMMMMMMM

You can't make anyone care about anything! I think you have to find the sweet spot where you get some fulfillment from making music/being in a band, but the sense of fulfillment isn't contingent on an arbitrary metric or external validation. Which I know is way easier said than done. 

George Saunders is one of my favorite authors. He is a very friendly person (he has responded to my emails!). He wrote his first few books in his spare time while he worked as a tech writer during the day. His tech writing job required him to write technical briefs for a pharmaceutical company, or something dry like that. He said this of how he wrote those first few books:

"I wrote my first book at work, and it was a job -- tech writing -- that just didn't permit any kind of superstition. You would be in the middle of something, and 12 or 15 minutes would present themselves to you, and you'd write... It's a state of mind that you get into, and you can get into it anywhere... So much of what we do is a form of self-blessing, like you have to give yourself permission to succeed. [You say] 'Look, I'm in cahoots with you, self, and I'm gonna really try to make whatever situation you get in propitious for your output."

You can dedicate your life to something without dedicating all your time to it, y'know? 

On 4/19/2018 at 7:19 AM, splendorr said:

idk i have tons of half songs on my phone. every1 does it i think that tries to write songs. heres one by kurt cobain i like replete with phone call at the end of the recording

i was trying to write good advice so it took me a while but i can't really come up with any sorry.

and before ryan or whomest ever says this isn't oc i wrote all these words everything i do is oc :bigboo:

i've had a very different schedule and routine the last couple weeks as i've tried to adapt to working from home again. sorry i haven't been around here as much, but i will be!

one thing i did was start a little mailing list where i could just collect longer thoughts and little jokes instead of tweeting as much. i'm focusing on keeping it pretty positive and constructive to the extent possible. if y'all want to get my periodical blog / project notes / whatever else, you can subscribe! https://tinyletter.com/splendorr

i wasn't gonna share this until i had a bit more stuff on there but ah, whatever. definitely inspired by starsailor.co, i've made myself a lil website. i'm lazy so i used squarespace :P it still took a long time to make something relatively simple! 

anyway here it is: tomdv.net

8 hours ago, tombo said:

i wasn't gonna share this until i had a bit more stuff on there but ah, whatever. definitely inspired by starsailor.co, i've made myself a lil website. i'm lazy so i used squarespace :P it still took a long time to make something relatively simple! 

anyway here it is: tomdv.net

tombo! it looks good dude. let me know if you ever need help with anything.

also, a suggestion: i understand the impulse to want to separate things into categories like that. but i would whittle them down, or maybe create a single CONTENT STREAM and just use tags to organize. in my experience the less clicking around people have to do the better. people don't wanna click around. but also: fuck em, dude. if you like the little pools of images and text, then keep it that way. that's just me two cents!!!

yeah, i was thinking about that. i don't care about *people* but it does seem like it will be more and more annoying to organise and add stuff with the system chrrently in place, whereas with tags i wouldnt have to think about it nearly as much. its also kind of weird that you have to check what exact type of thing has been updated instead of just having the newest thing at the top i guess. so yeah i might do that